Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 - radio replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 1:02pm
I think it's disgraceful that Nissan have done this. The aerial plug for car radios has been a set standard for decades until they decided to change it. And the hazard switch has been incorporated into the radio - WTH????

My old Almera was made properly; all I needed was the wiring loom adapter and once I'd fitted the brackets to the replacement radio it bolted onto the bulkhead. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit the new radio to the Primera, perhaps there's a video on the net somewhere explaining how to do it.

It took a while to gather the parts together; I got the facia and aerial adapter from a shop in Leigh, the harness (different to the one for the Almera) and the hazard switch I managed to obtain from an on-line auction site.

So I have all the parts I need (hopefully). I'm going to text the hazard switch to make sure it works. I will connect the replacement radio and test it out. I'm a bit worried that if I need to put the original radio back I might have problems - I have the code but the display has gone a bit wonky so I might not be able to see the numbers properly.

I wonder if it's possible to remove the hazard switch from the radio and fit it into the new facia; it's a bit late now but I could have perhaps saved some money.

-Pete
TekPete View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 2:10pm
I meant test not text. I don't know how to edit the original message. :-(

**See Admin** View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **See Admin** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 3:08pm
Have you looked in any local breakers ? Given it is a issue that happens alot bound to be some on cars being broken . Unless anyone on here breaking a 144 can help if parts dont work out ?
TekPete View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 1:34pm
I wasted another 30 minutes on Sunday trying to finish this job that I actually started months ago.

Now I find that the brown plug for the hazard switch won't fit the back of the switch; the pins look the same size and thickness but the physical body of the switch is totally different - see the attached photo.

Yesterday I was passing Nissan in Warrington and popped in to see if they had the correct switch but they don't have any, in fact no Primera parts at all.

Nissan are f***ing useless.

I'm going to present them with an invoice for all the parts that I shouldn't have needed to buy because they can't make things properly.

Angry

Oh. I can't insert photos here.
**See Admin** View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote **See Admin** Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:32pm
Thought about looking in breakers for a switch ? Couple around here often have 144's in
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 8:52pm
You may be able to trim the locating fins off of the brown plug.

Or a workaround using a P11 Plug to the P11 Hazard Switch
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p11144-stereo-fascia-hazard-switch_topic30013.html

For photos on here (and lots of Forums), upload to Photobucket or similar and post a link.
TekPete View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 12:40pm
Hi NaughtyNorm,

I did try that a while ago; I rang a few but no luck. There used to one near where I live but they no longer break cars.

There were two big yards in Salford near Duchy Road but they've gone - well I can't find them.

I also went to one in Swinton but they had no Primeras. Another nearby address led to someone's house - I found that info on the net.

Even if I do find one with a Primera or two they'll probably have original Blaupunked radios in them. If any yards have a hazard switch it'll probably be the same as the one I already have.

There's a shop in Wigan (not Leigh as I mentioned before) on Seven Stars Bridge that might have the correct switch or an adapter.

I've been in touch with the seller who supplied the hazard switch and they said they'll try and sort out a connector which I should be able to fit.

I've also recently found a write up on here explaining how to add another connector to the one that's already there. I will need the correct connector.

I'll let you know when it's all sorted. If you hear nothing more from me assume the worse.

-Pete
TekPete View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 1:39pm
Hi imckay,

I've only just noticed your post.

It's hard plastic - might be a bit difficult trimming off the ridges; I could butcher the back of the hazard switch and make it fit that way, but once I've done that I won't be able to sell on it if it doesn't work.

I've been to that link before; this looks different to mine; the white plug on my car is bigger and there's no black plug.

I'm going to visit the shop on Seven Stars Bridge in Wigan (I bought the aerial adapter and the facia [fascia?] ) from there but I'll give them a ring before I go to make sure they have the switch - I don't want a wasted journey.

I'll be back here when I've sorted it out and not before.

BTW: I've had this car since late Sept 2015 - that's how much time I've spent (on and off) trying to sort out this mucking fuddle caused by Nissan.

-Pete
iosonlindoro View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iosonlindoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 3:58pm
Hi, you have to lightly wear the plastic connection of the hazard switch (i bought mine from a scarp-yard) in order to fit it.
I changed my radio 4 years ago, that was the only trouble i had, no code problema at all.
The fascia & connectors from ebay 21€.

TekPete View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TekPete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 1:57pm
An update.

Well, I finally managed to sort out the f*** up caused by Nissan on my Primera P11. I finally got the Pioneer radio installed around July/Aug of last year (I think). 

I part exchanged the switch at that shop I mentioned near Seven Stars Bridge in Wigan - I don't know if I'm allowed to mention their name; if anyone wants to know perhaps you can PM me and I'll pass on the info. I can't imagine what they were thinking about when they decided to incorporate the hazard switch into the radio; this must be one of the stupidest ideas of the last century. It's certainly put me off Nissan. Angry

What an awkward job!!! I had to use cable ties to hold the thing in place - no holes available to bolt it securely onto the bulkhead. The Almera was much better thought out. I scratched my arms to ribbons inserting the connectors to the back - there's so little room to work.

I did take a few photos showing various stages of the removal and replacement, but  I can't be bothered putting them up as I have CBA Syndrome (if I could post them on here I'd do it in an instant). However; here is a photo showing the Pioneer MEH-5000R in place:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/osKPzqds6YAEQ1QJ6

I was going to create a "Photobucket" account but if I recall correctly; they were asking for too many personal details so I backed out of it.

In the end it cost nearly £60 in parts and if I were to cost out the hours spent on this project and I charged myself Nissan mechanics hourly rates - it'd probably total a few hundred pounds. Grrrr. and all because Blauplonked wouldn't fit an AUX in - it must be possible because I could fit a CD autochanger but Blaupunked won't supply the info to do it.

Anyway thanks to all who offered advice. I never did find a "Scarp Yard"; I did find some few and far between Scrap Yards but the weren't much help; I guess my Primera P11 is just too old (like me).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>