Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 2005 Diagnosing Misfire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote campbell1987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 2005 Diagnosing Misfire
    Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 12:22pm
Hi all, I have a 2.2DCi Primera Estate and its been running a bit rough when cold the past 6 months or so, Its really not that bad but i can feel the car shake on idle when it is cold, Once it gets up to temperature it seems to run a lot smoother, I was told in a previous thread that changing the SCV would fix this so i replaced it and I am still getting the same problem though i really notice a big difference in power since fitting new SCV so it wasn't all for nothing but still i'd like to get rid of the shake if possible as i don't want it getting any worse or leading to other problems, 

My next step was to probably try a compression test, Though ive never done this in a diesel before only a petrol engine, Am i right in thinking the process is pretty much the same, Tester in a glow plug hole and all injectors and glow plugs disconnected or do i need to also disable fuel pump? And what is a healthy reading for this engine? It has almost 200k Miles on it now so im expecting some wear, 

Also may be worth noting there is no history of timing chain ever being replaced on this car so is it possible for chain to stretch so much it would affect the running of the engine? Whats the easiest way to check the timing on these engines?

Sorry for all the questions.... Tongue
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 2:23pm
Disable the fuel pump connections.Then crank it over to get rid of last bit of fuel in the injector lines.

Then after it's stalled you are ready go to go to go ahead with the compression test and yes it's just like the petrol compression test apart from you use the glowplugs holes using the correct size adapter with the compression kit.

Hold the throttle wide open during cranking.

If the chain gets to a point where the tensioner can take up any more slack it will affect the engine running,could be hard to start,stall at times,misfire/bad idle,and not the best MPG.Take the rocker off and check to see how much slack is in-between the cam gears and take a pic.Although that would only checking the top one,it will give an idea of how the condition of the bottom one is too.

200k is a lot of miles so yeah anything could be needing doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply