Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primera crank sensor / Tommy Kaira rt190

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
richpopek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richpopek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primera crank sensor / Tommy Kaira rt190
    Posted: 11 Aug 2018 at 5:13am
I'll post a pic of the engine but it just looks stock. The Keihin fcr 46 carb set-up will be sold as soon as I get the new system up and running. I had to take the manifold originally built for the carbs and have it converted to a dual sidedraft weber configuration so that it will also accept a throttle body set-up. It ran great for years with the Keihin's, huge amount of power! But I got busy and I let it sit too long and the carbs got out of tune. I mistakenly thought the problem was with the fuel pump since the fuel pressure was extremely low but now realize the carbs were just gummed up due to sitting. I didn't realize until later that the fuel pump was supposed to be around 1-psi or less and thinking the pump was bad I threw the original pump away. I changed the fuel-pump with an external pump but could never replicate the original pressure and flow required for the Keihins and couldn't find a replacement for the original pump. I went through the Keihins rebuilding everything possible so they are like brand new. So I'm moving on with either a weber or throttle body set-up. However, talking to my fuel injection expert I'm not sure we can make an aftermarket injection system work due to the crank sensor design. I'll follow up as soon as I figure something out. Thanks for your interest!
Rich   
rich popek
schwen View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:27pm
Rich we need to see pics of that treasured engine?

Are you planning get rid of the carbs set up?
P10 Army - G20.net MOTM April ´09 - NPOC.co.uk COTM April ´11
richpopek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richpopek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:35pm
Wow!! Thanks for the info!!! How do you know so much about this engine and is there a source for parts, schematic diagram for parts? 

rich popek
trbobrk View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trbobrk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 6:13pm
SR20DE typically have a camshaft position sensor built into the distributor that is on the end of the exhaust camshaft.  It is an optical setup that has 360 holes for position and 4 holes 180 degress apart, with cylinder 1 having a larger opening.

The SR20VE in the JDM 2001-02 Primera 20v have a camshaft position sensor that is basically the same thing, but without the distributor as it runs a coil on plug setup.

In addition, the 94+ models in the US have a crank sensor that bolts to the transmission and reads flywheel teeth.  This is not used for ignition timing, but as part of the emissions control as it checks engine speed as it relates to spark events to ensure the engine is firing properly.
richpopek View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richpopek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 1:20am
I have a Tommy Kaira rt190 with a SR20DE engine. I want to change from bike carbs to injection. Does anyone know if this engine has a crank sensor? If so, does anyone know the tooth count on the crank trigger, (36-1, 60-2, or??). Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rich
rich popek
 Post Reply Post Reply