Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 hollow noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 hollow noise
    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 9:31am
About 8000km ago (10 weeks) my 2004 primera started to make hollow noise. The sound came at speeds above 60km/h, and went away above 130km/h. It was loudest at around 95km/h. It's independent of engine revs, gear selection, clutch in/out, breaking or acceleration. There were no vibrations.
At first I thought it was a wheel bearing, but as the sound did not change when turning I suspected something else. I checked all wheels for play and all I found was some play in the RH outer tie rod, which could not be the cause of such noise. Then I suspected the tires, but they were not worn and did not have any flat spots.

About 3000km after I first noticed the sound, it had become significantly louder. I checked the wheels again for play, and there was no change. Then I realized there was play in the RH drive shaft and the driveshaft center support bearing. New drive shaft was ordered, complete with center support bearing.

I reached 8000km before the new parts arrived. At this point the sound on highway was so loud that talking in the phone handsfree while driving was impossible. Now also the steering had started to affect the noise - it got worse and was even pulsating a bit when turning left. The pulses can be seen on the steering wheel when I take my hands off while driving and the wheels are returning to straight.

So I replaced the RH driveshaft yesterday. Refilled gearbox oil. I also replaced the RH outer tie rod and adjusted toe in to 1mm. SOUND DID NOT CHANGE!
Then I tried some other wheels - nothing changed.
After the new tie rod, there is no play to any of the wheels. They are turning smooth. Brake pads are worn evenly, no cracks or grooves on the brake discs (they are 14 months old).

Where should I look for the source of this noise now?
petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 1:11pm
I think this is now identified. I lifted up the front, removed brake pads on both front wheels, then refitted the wheels, started the engine, pressed ESP off (important when brake pads are removed), put car in 6th gear and clutch out. Both wheels started spinning. After a while the LH slowed down. I placed a wooden beam under the RH wheel to slow it down and thereby speeding up the LH. Then the noise was replicated. Now the noise could be located to LH wheel. It is either the wheel hub bearing or the outer link of the LH drive shaft. Most likely the bearing.

Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the bearing without having a press?
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:41pm
 I would say it is the wheel bearing and you can get them out without a press but its hard work. Ouch I take mine to the local garage and they do it for a drink. Thumbs Up
Roy
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 6:04pm
Bad wheel bearing.

Press needed otherwise you'll damage the new one when installing, it's not a fun job to do.

petterg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 9:49am
How strong will a press need to be? There is an used 12ton for sale near by. Will it be able to handle this?
(I have the impression that most ppl use a 20ton press)
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:54pm
Yes that should be good,6 ton is the minimum needed generally.
 Post Reply Post Reply