Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 SE 2.2 TD Fuel Filter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisbris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 SE 2.2 TD Fuel Filter
    Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 11:58am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me exactly how to change the Diesel fuel filter on my
03 Primera P12 Se 2.2 turbo diesel
I know where it is located. I posted this before but had only vague replies.

its just regarding the pressure side. do i disconect the pumps electrics and run it till it stops and if so where do i pull the wires/fuse or is it something to do with the springed section on top of the filter itself.
what after the filter is replaced. does it prime automatically or again is this to do with the top of the filter. is like a plunger/pump

Any exact instructions from someone who's done it would be appreciated

Cheers

Chris
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 4:28pm

FUEL FILTER (YD22DDTI)

Removal and Installation

REMOVAL

1. Remove air duct and upper air cleaner case.

2. Remove fuel filter protector.

3. Disconnect fuel hoses from fuel filter bracket.

CAUTION:

Plug the pipe to prevent fuel from draining.

4. Remove fuel filter with bracket.

CAUTION:

Do not splash fuel during removal. If fuel is splashed,

immediately wipe it off.

5. Using band-type filter wrench (commercial service tool), remove

fuel filter.

6. Turn fuel filter upside down to drain fuel.

7. Remove drain plug from fuel filter.

INSTALLATION

Install in reverse order of removal, paying attention to following.

l Replace O-ring on drain plug with new one.

l Screw the fuel filter by hand until O-ring contacts sealing surface of bracket. Then tighten it by turning

approximately 2/3 turn.

l After installation, bleed air from fuel path.

INSPECTION AFTER INSTALLATION

Run engine and check for fuel leakage at connections.

FUEL FILTER (YD22DDTI)L

Air Bleeding

After fuel filter is replaced and after fuel system components are

removed/installed, bleed air from fuel path as follows.

1. Move priming pump up and down to bleed air from fuel path.

2. When air is bled, pumping of priming pump becomes heavy stop

operation at that time.

3. Crank the engine until it starts. Do not crank the engine for more

than 30 seconds.

4. If the engine does not starts, stop cranking and repeat step 1

above.

5. If the engine does not operate smoothly after it has started, race

it two or three times.

6. If air cannot be bled easily (pumping of priming pump does not become heavy), disconnect feed-side of

hose between fuel filter and electronically controlled fuel injection pump. After that, operate priming pump

and confirm that fuel comes out.

chrisbris View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisbris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 4:37pm
Thanks for that great info. I think i should be ok then, its just that i was under the impression i had to release the pressure by some means before undoing the filter pipes or i would be sprayed with diesel and it could be quite dangerous due to the pressure.

I will give it a go.

many thanks

Amaronie View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amaronie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:06pm
here is how I did it.
1. remove air cleaner top & place to one side
2. unclip 2 hoses on filter shield & push to one side
3. using a 10mm deep socket on a swivel & extension, remove the 2 nuts on filter shield/bulkhead
4. pull assy' forward & remove filter (by hand or with a filter strap)
5. pour diesel into new filter & replace
6. repeat removal in reverse
7. tried to pump out air for ages BUT did not work, so...
8. looking at filter from front, remove LH rubber hose from filter at fuel rail end
9. using a small funnel, add diesel until it backs up the funnel
10. gently push pump button & keep adding fuel until no more air emerges & no more fuel can go down pipe
11. reconnect & start car
tonyridal View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyridal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 6:57pm
I've just tried to given my p12 dci its first proper service since I got it. Oil and filter, no problem, especially with an oil extractor down the dipstick tube, rather than removing the sump plug (bad experience with my last car, seat toledo, where the thread stripped on the sump!). Air filter, 2mins. then fuel filter... Aggggh!

when i got the car I checked its previous MOTs online, and a while back it had failed for a fuel system leak, when the filter was replaced and it passed an hour later. No problem there I thought. Until yesterday. what the cowboys appear to have done is loctite'd the filter on to the bracket-head-primer thingy; you can see it when you're up close, so that I didn't have a chance of shifting it, and would have probably knacked the thread if i had,,even with a vice and chain oil filter tool, which left gouges in the filter body but thankfully didn't pierce it as I've had to refit it (having drained the water obvs). I then couldn't get it to prime, but the funnel method above worked a treat, albeit after I'd flattened the battery trying. And I accidentally drove over the new filter when i went for a run to recharge the battery. 

That could be the worst piece of design I've ever seen on a Nissan (or is it Renault interference I wonder?) in a daft place, priming pump that doesn't work etc.

I'd like to replace the filter head-bracket-pump bit, but I'm struggling to find one online... does anyone have the part number by any chance, or any bright ideas who sells them? I did find this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Primera-2-2DCi-Di-P12-WP12-Fuel-Diesel-Lift-Primer-Pump-Filter-03-2002/291497010385?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3D975d3506353b4da489beff30e1a60791%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D331662074563 but i'm not convinced it's the right one as the bracket doesn't look right? does it?

Any suggestions gratefully recieved!
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 8:32pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake

Have a look here and you will be able to search on the correct year and modelThumbs Up

tonyridal View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyridal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 11:06pm
thanks, that's exactly what I needed!
when it says "alternate" on that site, does that mean either will fit?
The one listed as the exact match is £103, the alternate is £28!
 Post Reply Post Reply