Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 1.8 power loss when indicating
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.8 power loss when indicating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 power loss when indicating
    Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 10:12pm
Borrowed my neighbour's Primera 1.8 P12 whilst my P11-144 is at the garage having some diagnostics sorted. When I'm driving his P12, and I turn the indicators or lights on, there is a noticeable drop in engine power. In fact driving at night is like driving a worn out Mini 850 - sorry, giving my age away here. Any ideas? I helped him change a rear brake light about 3 weeks ago, and just seen the posts about bad earthing on rear light cluster causing problems. Could this be the fault?
Mike
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 10:15pm
Yes that is the fault and I have changed the thread title too.. "Nissan Primera 1.8 P12" is too vague etc.
MikeEH View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 10:36pm
Thanks for that and sorry about the heading.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 12:06am
I would say 90% was an earthing problem of which is an easy fix, however, did it do this before the lamp blew, if not, have you replaced the bulb with the correct equivalent?
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 12:11am
I was gonna say that myself... But didn't want to look condescending LOLBig smile
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2012 at 4:02pm
Here's my theory,

All items affected have their -'ve returns gathered together like a bunch of straws which are then connected to a single heavier cable bolted to the bodywork. This junction I assume is by a simple crimp method therefore each wire connection is dependent on good physical contact with its neighbour.
The lights and fuel pump have a common Gnd return at this point.
A poor connection here for the lights caused by oxidation or whatever will create heat and expansion due to the higher current passing through the lamps which may in turn cause other contacts to break ( hence the fuel pump switching on and off )
By providing independent earths for the rear lamps the problem is circumvented.
I believe the designer has tried to foresee the possible problem as there are three earth points for the harness all interconnected  B17 at r/h door pillar , B24 at or near rear seat/wheel-arch and B55 in the tailgate.

As I say this is all theory and could be absolutely bonkers!!Wacko    
If in doubt give it a clout!
MikeEH View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 7:09pm
Sorry for late reply, been away.
Took rear cluster off and checked with multimeter, and continuity between bulb earths and car body (the threaded hole of the cluster fixing bolts) is 0.001ohm, which is pretty good. However, I did notice that when the RH indicator is on, the 3 brake light bulbs around it dims is sympathy with the indicator bulb flashing. Checked the wiring/contacts in the cluster with Multimeter and all seems ok.
But also.....whenever the brake pedal is depressed, the fog lamp indicator light on the dashboard comes on........!!! Should car be taken to a Auto Electric garage to be checked or would it be something simple? (He said hopefully!!!)
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:24pm
Just do the earth fix and work from there if the problem still exists
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:39pm
In order for the fog lamp indicator to light it must be getting power fed back from the brake light circuit ( I assume the rear fog lamp must also be lighting as it is on the same circuit ).
How this can happen is if there is a short between wires within a harness but the most likely cause is a carbon track within the rear lamp socket or plug.
Carbon tracks can be difficult to see as they are usually hair line if on the surface and need to be dug out.
If it is caused by burning within the plug or socket you may be able to smell it.
You could check resistance between adjacent pins on the plug which I would expect to read infinity.
Do the same at the socket but remove the bulbs first as they will be low resistance.
The problems all sound related.

This is assuming that you have tried the earth fix and it has failed!
If in doubt give it a clout!
MikeEH View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 1:50pm
Right, just checked and the fog light does not come on when the brakes are applied - only the fog light indicator on the dashboard. The fog light works perfectly when turned on via the lights stalk.
I haven't done the earth fix because I was getting zero resistance between all the earth tracks on the rear cluster and the bodywork. So I concluded that it is sufficiently earthed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>