Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 1.8 power loss when indicating
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.8 power loss when indicating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vindjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 3:48pm
I would do the earth fix anyway and double check you have correct brake light bulb. I fitted wrong one on my p12 and the front side lights came on when braking ! Maybe your front fogs are coming on ? I ftted a double element instead of single by mistake or other way round can't remember now.
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 5:56pm
As I say in order for the lamp indicator to light it needs power and looking at the diagram the only way I can see this happening is feedback via the rear fog lamp bulb.The indicator is an LED and requires very little current to illuminate it unlike the bulb.
Try removing the fog lamp bulb and see if indicator still lights.
This may be due to poor connection within the plug to socket earth pin.
If you have a lead with crock clips iether end you could use this to provide a temporary earth between body and light cluster.
You can also use your meter on voltage to see if any voltage is present across the fog lamp when brakes applied.

In the majority of cases the earth fix has cured oddball electric problems. 
I had a problem with my own where power cut using indicators and I simply sprayed the plug and socket with WD40 and never looked back.
If in doubt give it a clout!
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 7:21pm
The factory earth is not sufficient for the required current of all the items it grounds.
There is a loom available from Nissan to fix this known fault. It adds an extra earth.
The how-to does the same much cheaper.
stephenbryan1977 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenbryan1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 10:23pm
Hi

I have the same problem on my P12 on the rear passenger cluster. Only had it a month now.. Did you get the replacement wiring loom? Are all your rear bulbs, single contact?

I took the light off and noticed a slightly black bulb. Ain't had time to replace it yet but when I go on Halfords site and check bulbs to my car, it says that it should be a double contact when each bulb on the cluster has it's own compartment in the light.

Steve

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 10:56pm
Change the black bulb.
If you still have problems, perform the earth fix.
This does the same as the Nissan wiring loom but is a lot cheaper and much easier.

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-rear-light-removal-now-with-simple-earth-fix_topic16533.html

RJ View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:51pm
I had all of the problems: engine racing when indicating to left (especially noticeable while on cruise control), reverse camera turning on while pressing brakes (even on highway in Drive gear going over 100kmp/h, ABS sensor warnings, Gear selector getting stuck in Park, etc. Basically all the gremlins. The all important earth fix for the rear light clusters resolved all these problems. As an extra, I sanded all contacts, bent them up (for tighter contact for the bulbs) and sprayed WD-40 on all the contacts, looms, and even the earth screws. I'm glad I found the solution on this forum, and was enthusiastic to do the repair with such great and clear illustrations. Thank you all, and thank you NPOC. :)
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:51am
I am pleased you found the solution hereThumbs Up
Rollerteam400 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollerteam400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 11:31am
Hi i have a primera 1.8 petrol hatch 2005 and every time i put my lights on it goes into limp mode and same as when i put my right indicator on.I run a new earth from just before the rear n/s light cluster plug but its still the same .any ideas as im now getting to the point im going to sell the car.thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12