Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 stalling at idle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangoaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 stalling at idle
    Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:14pm
HELP PLEASE !!! I've got a Primera SE+ P11-144 2litre petrol Estate. It starts from cold no problem, then after about five minutes or so stalls at idle & is temperamental to restart......if i lift the clutch slightly i can sometimes get it to refire without turning the key, & have to keep the clutch fractionally up to keep it running at idle. It had an idle control valve just over a year ago & although very similar symptoms, this doesn't seem quite the same. Bizzarrely this problem started after i had a new rear exhaust box fitted, but i can think of no reason why this should be in any way a cause. My mechanics have checked the hoses etc for air leaks, cleaned the throttle body, & run diagnostics with no results (probably due to the fact that the engine management light doesn't stay lit so isn't picking up any faults). It's running very rich at idle. It's been suggested that i get a throttle body with sensors, or that maybe it's the mass air flow sensor. If anybody has any suggestions i'd be grateful..................................................... 
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 9:35pm
funked maff sensor
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️
mangoaddict View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangoaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2012 at 10:06pm
Thanks......that's pretty much what i've been thinking.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangoaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 3:25pm
....just been looking around online & have read that the Lambda sensor can show the same symptoms....any thoughts ???
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:04pm
Are you getting stalling when slowing for junctions?
This is a common symptom of a worn MAF.

How many miles has the car done? The MAF typically wears out between 70K and 100K miles.

Genuine Bosch MAF assembly for the 1.8 available on exchange for around £50 from Eurocarparts and Andrew Page.
You would need the sensor from the 1.8 MAF assembly. T20 security torx (star with a hole) driver is required.
What year/plate is your car?

Might be worth trying the idle air learn procedure from the Service Manual. SR20 Engine Control Chapter, Page 47. Very easy.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangoaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:20pm
Yeah, stalling at junctions & whilst sitting in traffic.
It's 'Y' registered, July 2001. Only done just over 87000 miles, which appear to be genuine as i've got the full service history.

I spoke with Eurocarparts today & it came in new at £250....ouch !!! But i'll try shopping around again to check out exchange prices. There are some OEM MAFs on ebay for around £40/50........although i've heard there can be problems with non genuine parts of this kind....???

ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:35pm
you don't want to ask eurocarparts for a 2.0ltr maf as they cost a fortune ask them for the 1.8 one as mentioned in the post above yours...

and yeah unless you find a cheap genuine one on ebay, avoid them
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 7:35pm
The pre-2001 1.8 MAF can be made to work.
Yours will most likely have the thermistor on the MAF. Also identified by having 5 wires on the MAF plug. Older 144s have 4 wires and an external thermistor.

The thermistor is held in place in V-shaped terminals. Spread with a small screwdriver, move to replacement sensor and nip up with small pliers.

Plenty of people have used the 1.8 MAF on the 2.0 with no problems.
Moving the thermistor onto the exchange MAF also works.

gaz1234 View Drop Down
Play Nice Group (N)
Play Nice Group (N)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaz1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:09pm
i too have a similar problem starting.  slowly losing revs and cutting out.
is the maf next to the air filter?
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:18pm
maf housing is actually connected to the airfilter box
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>