Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 stalling at idle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 7:24pm
Sorry for bringing up the post, but I have que same problem.

My car, a P11-144 1.8 has a annoying problem, at cold starts if I don't rev up, the rpm drops and stalls. It went to a garage and they change the MAF sensor for an original Bosch one, the first day all ok, no problem at cranking or idleling, but the next day the problem started again, as well the engine light.

Anyone know what could be the problem? Also, could the shop put the wrong MAF? I searched and I found a lot of Bosch sensors, they installed this one: 0 280 218 094, is the correct one? Anyone can confirm?
gaz1234 View Drop Down
Play Nice Group (N)
Play Nice Group (N)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaz1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 8:21pm
Yep mine was the maf from memory
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:01pm
Welcome to NPOC.

Your problems sounds more like an Idle Air Control Valve.
A faulty MAF normally causes stalling or nearly stalling when slowing down for junctions once the Car is warm.

What Year is your Car?
There are 2 different MAFs. They are the same but one has an Air Intake Temperature Sensor.
If you need the Temp Sensor (5 Wires going to the MAF Connector) and it doesn't have one you will get a P0110 Error. It shouldn't affect how the Car runs though.

It can also take a few days for the Car to adapt to a new MAF but you shouldn't be getting stalling from a cold start.
You could try disconnecting the Battery for 30 Mins.

nunofos View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:55pm
The first problem I encounter (before changing the MAF) was that in idle the car revs go up and down by itself, sometimes don't even started if I didn't revved, the moment I stopted the car stalled. Then they changed the MAF, no problem, no lights.

The next day, I encounter all the problems I said above. And yes, when I reduce to go in a junction the revs drops so much the car almost stalls and vibrate.

It's from 2002. 
nunofos View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 10:04pm
Sorry for the double post, I can't edit.

I also hear a little whistle in idle (if I rev the noise disappears) that I didn't hear before all these problems. Tomorrow I will try the diagnostic to see what error the car gives.
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 10:46pm
You have a gasket/hose air leak.
nunofos View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
Update: I tried to make the diagnostic but with no success. I follow the procedure in this topic(http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/topic8946.html), but the light doesn't blink.

I also record this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0MWUvbEGsM

I need to refer that all the problems started in one day. I stopped the car for about 2 months, it crank first time and for a few days no problems at all, one day it makes all that problems.
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 6:20pm
The diagnostic only works on the early P11-144
You can get a Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter that will work with Android and iPhone quite cheaply. Less than 10 Euro
Or a plug in OBD2 reader for a bit more 20-30 Euro

It is not easy to see if the bad running is due to a misfire or the low idle speed.

You can relearn the Idle Speed

Service Manual
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-factory-service-manuals_topic29493.html
P11-144.rar Get Winrar to unpack it.

See Chapter EC QG16 and QG18. Page 34 (Without Consult)
Warm the Car up fully
Turn everything Electrical off. Lights, Radio and Fan
Unplug and Replug Throttle Position Sensor within 5 Seconds

Nissan Connector Removal. Awkward if you don't know LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5chL4I8oyU

Presume you are in Germany from the MAF Link?
Which looks like the right one by the way.
nunofos View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 7:27pm
Oh, so that's the problem.. I tried an electrical wire, a paper clip nothing worked ROFL

Thanks for the manual, tomorrow I will try that.

About que car and MAF, yes, I currently live in Germany, and i'm relief that the mechanic installed the correct one.
nunofos View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nunofos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 7:50pm
Update: I tried relearn the Idle Speed as imckay said, no luck. The problem continues, I also removed and cleaned the PCV valve just in case, no changes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>