Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nissan primera p11-144 engine oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Renegade1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 8:35pm
Some cheap oils are as good as the brand oils.

Check this website http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm and you'll see that what really matters is the specification or grade of oil you get.

For your Prim, API grade SL or SM is best or ACEA grade A5.

10w40 or 5w30 ?  Either one according to my owners handbook.  10w40 is the standard oil, 5w30 is recommended for fuel economy.
If wit was sh*t, I'd be constipated :)
japimport View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote japimport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 8:36pm
oh ok thats grand, thats good to know i  know halfords do have some offers on some times thanks again for the helpThumbs Up
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 9:29pm
10w40 mostly for me, now have 5w30 but no difference in fuel economy, still shit!

I could not perceive any difference between the two either.

I usually go for the cheapest oil as I reckon it'll exceed the specification for my car when it was built 13 years ago.

Plus, I'm running a cheap car (even if it is a great car). Modest running costs are my aim.

Actually the 28mpg I'm currently getting on my short crawl in traffic to work would have had us cracking open the beers when we had our old viva which did under 20mpg around town. So maybe not so bad really.
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 9:37pm
I think 10w40 is the best all rounder,its not to thin causing oil leaks,yet not to thick either causing power loss and bad MPG.
CLASSIX View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Pink Princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLASSIX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 9:44pm
Castrol Magnatec 10W 40 is the way to go for good all round performance on a daily basis for this type of engine or if you want to push the boat out a bit Castrol Edge 5w 40, these are the ones recomended by Castrol.
Mobil oils are great quality as well.
I only use Magnatec 10w 40 in my GT Thumbs Up

I work for BP, BP own Castrol Rave
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2013 at 10:19am
To my mind, THE main thing about the Primera engines is the cam chain - you don't want this to start wearing/stretching as once it does, the process accelerates.  Replacement is costly and loads of hassle.

Chains like clean oil.   I change Halfords 10W40 semi oil at 5-6k.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
almalaci View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almalaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 1:03am
Thanks everyone for the replies. Could you guys assure me that I need semi synthetic oil and not fully synthetic?

I've changed the oil in my Primera P11-144 myself for many years and used 10W40 semi synthetic oil. My engine has always run very smooth with never any problems, now passed 162k. I've been using Castrol GTX 10W40 part synthetic for the last 2 oil changes. I've been trying to order a 4l can of the same stuff on ebay and I've just received (and returned) another can of fully synthetic oil for the THIRD (!!!) time from 3 different sellers despite the item description and photo stating it being part synthetic. 
I'd like to stick with the same oil as I have some left over from the previous can in case I have to top up.
Am I being fussy with my oil here, or is it simply Castrol not making a part synthetic oil anymore and sellers just sell what they can get hold of or no-one has old cars anymore to bother about this?

Nissan-P11 View Drop Down
Play Nice Group (N)
Play Nice Group (N)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nissan-P11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 10:32pm
Personally, I've always used Mobil 1 0W 40, which is fully synthetic anyway.  We've got two P11 Primeras in the family, the GA16DE powered I had new and has got 128K on the clock, and my QG18DE has just finished its first service book on 181k (Mobil from 87k when I bought it).  Both get serviced every year or 9000 miles whichever comes first, as per service spec.

I agree though re: chain driven engines, keep the engine oil clean (the Mobil 1 does stay pretty clean anyway over the 9k).  

One thing I would avoid like the plague though is Nissan's own branded 10W 40 oil.  In my experience at least in a 1.8 Tino with full Nissan history (60k on the clock), it regularly needed topping up due to engine wear, and comes out like sludge when you flush it out, but by then the damage was done!
almalaci View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almalaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:04am
Thanks for the advice, you've conviced me to go with the fully synthetic 10W40 Castrol that I have. I assume though that you meant 10W40 and not 0W40, right?
Nissan-P11 View Drop Down
Play Nice Group (N)
Play Nice Group (N)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nissan-P11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 2:41pm
I'm sure the Castrol 10w 40 would be fine. I like the Mobil 1 0w 40 though personally, as its particularly good for cold starts in winter, hence the lower 'w' number.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12