Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 ignition key cover column

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseykev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 ignition key cover column
    Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 1:47pm
Hi all, Help needed here please,

My nissan primera p12 2 ltr Auto 2002-03 would not start today, was working great
yesterday as usual, today just turning over, thought was the
Battery, recharged ,still will not start. I'm going to see if it
is the ignition Nats thing that needs cleaning, problem is Im trying to
prize apart the plastic cover off and i've pulled it open, but it feels as if
i'm going to break it, if I have to use brute force. I like the way they put
plastic screw holes with no screws in. I can not seem to get the bottom piece apart
where the latch is for adjusting the steering column. Theres lots of advice on here about cleaning it, but nothing about getting to the Dam thing. I dont want to break it , I will never get the two plastic pieces back together again.

Also the Nats light seemed to be flashing when turning the key many times this morning, but is now not flashing anymore when I turn the key , just before firing over. Just flashes on and off like its always done, when leaving car locked.Not so sure now that this is the fault, but I must try and clean that little black box connection or whatever it is that i'm supposed to clean.

Regards
Kevin
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 3:53pm
Jerseykev View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseykev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 4:51pm
Thanks to all. I have found 2 screws and managed to get the top cowl off and I have enough room to get to the ignition. Can someone please tell me what im supposed to clean. There is this little black box and a little white connection in the side, I have taken out the screw, which has loosened the black box, can now pull out completely. What am I supposed to look for and or clean, and what with wd 40 0r something else.
Regards
Kevin
Jerseykev View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseykev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 4:52pm
Or to timeshock I should say.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 5:31pm
The NATS Antennae amplifier is a ring which fits around the ignition barrel, it has a small box fixed to it, I think it is all secured by one screw, once removed just slide it off the barrel, don't use spray just dry wipe it down removing and dust/dirt build up and reassemble. I doubt this ids the cause if you do not have a nats warning light. When you turn the key does the car turn over?
Jerseykev View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseykev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:20am
Yes car turns over. I will clean the nats ring tomorrow. When i've been turning the key,its like it wants to start an almost running a few times. But just seems like something is stopping it. Mechanical or electrical. I'm not a mechanic, l have not a clue how to check if its getting the petrol.
What l did have trouble with in the last
6-7 months. Is when putting your foot down to overtake or go faster quickly. The car would shudder as if it wasn't getting the right amount of petrol. I put that stp injector cleaner in the petrol tank 3 times, seemed to improve, but not completely took the problem away. Because l am no mechanic l really dont no where to rule out things now. Gonna clean the Nats first now and put back.
Thanks again for the help .
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 9:03am
Defo not the NATS then. I would be looking at air and petrol filters, fuel lines, MAF
I would also be checking the battery main earths where the connect to the chassis and transmission, particularly the latter. Look for good connection and no breaks. The a jumper cable from the batter earth to a solid area on the engine
Jerseykev View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseykev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:26am
Hi again,
Well I cleaned around that ignition ring , was no dirt, put all the steering console back together. I can now confirm that I do not have the flashing red car light, when I turn on the ignition, it just blinks when ignition is off or gone from car, always done that. All seems normal , car almost starts, I have checked the fuses buy the right nee , in my case left, lefthand drive in sweden. 'someone said check fuses 12 and 30, mine were not numbered, so took all out and put back all fine. looked at big fuses in engine bay, look ok but they are big and square, dont know if it could be one of them.
Where am I going to find the earth connection to the battery ? is it coming from the battery area, do I need to go under car ? I can not see how you can use a car and put in a warm garage and the next day, you would have an earth connection problem really. Air and petrol filters, would that be in the manual, dont know were to locate really. Im at a loss but I know I have to rule out more of the above, I can not afford to leave it in to Nissan, they will charge me even twice what they would charge even in the uk , no problem. I will get out my manual , and go out and play more, I just dont know where to find these things.
Jerseykev View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseykev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 10:34am
manual waste of time
Jerseykev View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerseykev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:04pm
Can not check fuel pump or line, because apparently its built into the petrol tank.Im well confused . Going to try and check the earth connections, almost impossible to get under the car without jacks. Ive read for hours on here and is getting nowhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>