Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12: indicators; jerky at low revs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12: indicators; jerky at low revs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12: indicators; jerky at low revs
    Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 10:25pm
Hello everybody, I just picked up earlier today a 2006 Primera 1.8 S hatchback with less than 80k on the clock.

It appears to have a couple of minor problems (so far):

1) When using the indicators (especially left), sometimes the indicator sign/sound on the dashboard increases its frequency, and the headlight sign comes on, and then goes off after a short while (no bleeping sound as mentioned by others though). With daylight, I could not see if the lights were actually on, I would assume so. I'm also assuming the car doesn't have automatic headlight sensors? In any case, I think it has to do with the famous earth problem of the rear lights, which is the first thing I will check tomorrow, and report back.

2) Engine is a bit jerky at low revs in second gear, like when i'm crawling forward in traffic. But I've read here http://mywikimotors.com/qg16de/ that this is normal with that Nissan engine (the 1.6, but im assuming it applies to the 1.8 too):

"4. Jerking on low RPM. This is a peculiarity of the engine. If it is unpleasant for you, you can turn to the dealer for the new soft for ECU."

No idea what the last sentence mean though.. In any case it's not too unpleasant for the moment, so I'm not planning to do anything about it yet. Unless anybody here suggests otherwise that is...

A couple of other questions:

- The increased frequency the indicator lights switch to every now and then might mean they're on their way out... I'd like to replace them with LEDs, and replace with LEDs also all other external lights apart from headlights. Does anybody know which type of LED I should get please in order not to have problems with Canbus etc?

- I also plan on changing the engine oil, and possibly the sparks. Which oil and sparks do people recommend please?

Any advice gratefully received!
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:49pm
Welcome to NPOC

Service Manuals if you haven't found them already
You want p12.zip

Definitely do the Earth Fix. It is easy, cheap and can't cause any problems.

Not sure on LED Bulbs. You can get Canbus compatible LED Bulbs.
Some P12s develop a Beep when indicating due to the Car detecting extra load on the Indicator circuit and thinking you are towing.

Spark Plugs. NGK LFR5A-11 listed in the Service Manual.
Oil. Up to you which Brand. 5W-30, 5W-40 or 10W-40 Fully or Semi Synthetic.
I always used 10W-40 Semi in my previous Model 2.0L
Either Nissan or a Quality Make Oil Filter.

I would recommend a Mann Charcoal Pollen Filter. Great at keeping the smells out.

4. Jerking on low RPM. This is a peculiarity of the engine. If it is unpleasant for you, you can turn to the dealer for the new soft for ECU
I would guess the person is suggesting a Nissan Dealer could upgrade the ECU Software.
Who knows if there is one available.
lukish View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:05pm
Thank you very much for this. I'll be ordering spark plugs, oil and filter and doing everything next weekend weather permitting. Will update on Earth fix, hopefully it will work.
lukish View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 3:04pm
Update: earlier this morning I did the earth fix, and the indicators work great now: no more fast flashing, and no flashing lights on the dashboard either.
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2019 at 5:02pm
good work. nice cheap easy fix. Thumbs Up
Roy
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:25pm
Pleased you got it sorted and the feedback on the sucessThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply