Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator belt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver01081985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator belt
    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 6:49pm
Hello iam french i need help for change alternator belt.please help me.thank you
My car p11
p11primeragt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p11primeragt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:10pm
Engine info?
Oliver01081985 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oliver01081985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 9:32pm
Engine GA16DE 1.6 slx
daskulthomas View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daskulthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:26am
Unfortunately you cannot change the alternator belt without taking the water pump & air conditioning belts off.

Generally most belts are tensioned by the pump (air con/ power steering) at 3 places: at the base of the pump with 2 bolts (14mm) that allow them to pivot and on top there should be a nut or bolt (10 or 12mm) that pulls it outward.

Undo these and you should be able to take all belts off.
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:17am
Is that really the case about the water pump? 

I could change the alternator belt (and alternator) in less than half an hour on the P10 GA16DE (had alot of practice with them failing though tbh) and there were no other belts to remove first.

I can believe the AC one is possible (my P10 didnt have AC so maybe the belt is on outer side of pulley and needs to come off?) but pretty sure I didn't have to take off a belt for water pump?

Not saying you are wrong and by all means it could be different on the P11 GA16DE but would be surprising if they had changed it.

daskulthomas View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daskulthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:50pm

I wasn't aware of the design differences between a P10 GA and a P11 GA. However, above is the engine in my micra and I'm not sure how I'd fiddle the alternator belt off without removing the other two.
RS Tom-Hundred View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Condiment King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RS Tom-Hundred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 2:31pm
Ah now it's all coming back to me!  Yep, you are exactly right, sorry!

I didn't have all the AC gubbins up front so that was no issue for me but I think I must have taken the water pump belt off when I did the alternator belt (and replaced both belts at the same time).

I was confusing this with swapping alternators in under 30 mins, whereby I would keep the same belt on (because I had already replaced it [as above]!)

Apologies for the confusion - this was about 12 years ago and my memory failed me! Embarrassed 

Post Reply Post Reply