Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 NATS fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 10:20am
BTW, my fault turning out to be the battery in the key.
I replaced it and the NATS error has never returned.
Coler89 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coler89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2013 at 10:48pm
Hi,

I have lurked on this site for a while but have never posted until now.

I thought I'd chip in with my experience of this issue. Earlier today I couldn't get my 2004 P12 to start in a supermarket car park. As the battery didn't seem flat (lights bright, stereo and AC working), I assumed that it wouldn't start was because the immobiliser was at fault. (Symptoms were: turning over once or twice and then immediately cutting out with the NATS light flashing). I got a boy racer to jump start it in a last ditch attempt to get it going and it only worked! In my case, the knackered old battery looks like the prime suspect for the failure to start.
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 12:50pm
Assuming terminals and earth lead are ok does Nats indicator go off initialy , ie if you were to turn ign on without starting engine is Nats off. If you were to do this three or four times without starting engine does it always go off.
If you were now to try and start engine , then it may well be that the draw from the starter motor is such that the batt voltage is dropping so low that Nats kicks in.
P12 are known to be fussy regards batteries.
An old trick that was used years ago to get more oomph out of a failing batt was to pour boiling water over it to heat it up but doubt that would be a good idea with a P12. 
If in doubt give it a clout!
russg View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 1:46pm
I have the same problem with 02 t-spec. It did the exact same sequence of events. Dead at first, then turning over, then, after turning the alarm on and off for a few times it started. It seems that charge of the car battery is very important in the alarm operation. I have the same problem with my Range Rover. A new battery, of the correct ampage, does solve the problem and stops it going into immobiliser mode. It could be that the newer battery overcomes poor contacts, earth problems etc?
I only have this problem with both cars when parked up in car parks or in town centres. Could be spurious  signals? Rover owners had summised that the alarm antenna was picking up numerous sigals and draining the battery to just under the optimum mode for the alarm, so it trips in or flattens the battery. It happened to me at Alicante airport. For the Range Rover it's a case of keeping spare fob batteries and good quality jump leads in the car. At the first instant it seems dodgey, change the fob batteries. Looks like the P12 has the same crap alarm electrics.
ARE YOUR THOUGHTS YOUR OWN?
mulsan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mulsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 8:15am
As mentioned I had the same issue. But to my surprise I seem to have solved it by my own.

The problem was random. Some days no problem the next day.... Impossible...

The engine cranks, but does not start. the next time nothing.

NATS alarm active. The one day I got a yellow failure alarm in the main display. did some googling and suspected the transponder.

Changed the transponder around the steering column, and here 6 months later. No problems.

So if you have this issue and have checked all... Get hold on a transponder. The unit is plug and play. Around 85USD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123