Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

p12 20 sve hcvt & POWER LOSS!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dij1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: p12 20 sve hcvt & POWER LOSS!
    Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 12:16am
Hello everyone

I have had a p10,w10 and p11 before but now
I have recently purchased a p12 PRIMERA 2004 2.0i sve with hcvt gearbox

really enjoying the car with all its gadgets, but was a little worried about the gearbox

I was under the impression that the gears would change smoothly but it would be the same as a stndard auto, but i cant get it to kickdown,it always feels like it is starting off in the wrong gear and just staying in that gear.

please help to put my mind at rest

the car has only done 50k miles so i want to change the gear oil and see if it makes a difference.

Is it normal auto gear oil or special oil?

Thanks in advance for any help.

NikC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 12:23am
Hey and welcome to the NPOC. What you're describing is a totally normal characteristic of the M6 CVT box. I've driven many miles in a P12 with a HCVT transmission, and it does take some getting used to, if you floor it, the revs should raise and hold there. It's confusing at first but once you adapt your driving style you'll be fine

The fluid (Nissan NS-1) is available from Nissan (which I'd personally use) and the box takes 8.1 litres!

You'll be able to see if it needs changing as it should be a pinky red, and if it's due for a change it'll be toasted and darker.

Hope this helps, I don't have a P12 (I have a '144) but my dad had a T-Spec estate for four years, so I know a little about them
1996 T bar 10th AE MR2 in Caribbean Blue (245/250)
Blue View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Sick End

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 11:04am
Hi there and welcome to NPOC mate. Good to hear you are enjoying the car! Hope that bit of advice Niks given you sorts you out ok.Thumbs%20Up
spiffy View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 12:07pm
its not the same as a regular auto box, first of all, there are NO gears at all in a CVT box. I'm not gonna explain it in perfect detail(see my link at the end of topic dor that), but Basicly there is a pulley on the engine(input) and a pulley at the output end, connected by a belt(think of the gears on a bicycle). It works by constantly changing the gear ratio, thats why when you kick it the revs go up and stays there while the speed goes up, thats because the gearbox is changing the ratio all the time.

It takes some time getting used to, and the car feels slower than a manual or normal auto car. Atleast thats how i felt it, but that's justyour mind beeing tricked.

For more info on the subject of cvt's and how it works visit howstuffworks: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm

The fluid is a special atf oil, change intervalls are every 45000 km
dij1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dij1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 5:29pm

Thanks alot for your replies

very helpfull information and an excellent link too.

Not doubting anybodies expertise here,but it just dosent seem right,
I mean the fact that it dosent realy have any real poke in D position.

I have spoken to a number of people today and most of them know nothing about this type of transmission,the few that did said it should still be able move off quickly in drive position.

Im just a little concerned as it dosent kickdown or in this case dosent get going with urgency like conventional autos.

When flooring it from standstill the revs dont go any higher than 3k.
When selecting tiptronic and changing gears muself it does move off alot quicker.

I agrea that the system will require getting used too and seing the diagrams of how the box works does explain its characteristics.

However ,surely this car must be able to automaticly go into a sport mode or similar when it senses that the accelarator is on the floor.

I found myself in a few hair raising situations when trying to join a roundabout and the car not pulling as quick as it should.

My question is that should this car be able to accelerate quickly when in D?

or do you need to put it into tiptronic in order to get more lively performance?

Once again Thanks to all and sorry for going on a bit....;D
spiffy View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 8:15pm
are you sure you are pressing the pedal far enough ?

I have NO experience with the P12, i have a -144, but I need to litteraly floor it for it to go high enough. Usually settles at about 5.5-6k rpm before it takes of.

edvinyl View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edvinyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by NikC NikC wrote:

The fluid (Nissan NS-1) is available from Nissan (which I'd personally use) and the box takes 8.1 litres!

just to add to that - you won't get all 8.1 litres out, a lot of that will stay in the torque converter
no one on the corner have swagger like us !
dij1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dij1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 9:35pm

I just tried it again on the way home from work and I am flooring it,I mean pedal to metal.

It will only go to 2.5k revs or perhaps 2.8k revs,but it will not go over that and will accelarate as though Im only pressing gently.

Its as if it is in a real layed back mode,and will only wake up if I change gears manually with the tiptronic.

Is there an online user manual from Nissan that will tell me if this is normal?
It certainly doesnot seem normal and I cant beleive that a manufacturer would go through so much hassle to make a supposedly advanced gearbox that does not allow you to drive in a laid back mode,and without a basic usefull feature that all auto gearboxes have,i.e kickdown.

silly as it may sound Im almost hoping that there is a problem because this just cant be right...??
or more to the point,hopefully there is a simple solution to allow the car to behave a little more like normal.

would be nice to speak to another owner of a similar car to find out what others think.....

dij1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dij1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 9:37pm
thanks for that,I suppose it will be roughly 6 litres that will come out,leaving approx 2 in the torque converter and veins (or other hiding places in the box)..?

Nissan sell the oil for £35 a gallon........
dij1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dij1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2008 at 9:38pm
sorry meant to quote the above members,but didnt hit the right buttons..doh!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>