Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2009 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

February 2009 - Stonegrey (P11 144)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NPOC_COTM View Drop Down
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: February 2009 - Stonegrey (P11 144)
    Posted: 20 Jan 2009 at 5:23am

Congratulations on winning February 2009 COTM and the prestigious NPOC COTM trophy Peter! You and your awesome 144 are now part of the NPOC history files. How did you take the news and how does it feel fella?

Total shock! I still cannot believe that my car is worthy of such a prestigious award. That said, I'm thrilled that my car is deemed good enough to be ranked with all the other great Primeras that have won in the past.

Before we get to discussing the car, let's talk about you the owner. So tell us about yourself and your life away from the forums.

My name is Peter, I'm 32 years old and I'm a self-employed plumber and heating engineer. I live with my Fiance Sharon, we've been together 11 years. I have 2 grown up stepchildren, Tristan and Beccy. Apart from cars, my interests include mountain biking, real ale (cycling between pubs sampling the beer, when weather permits LOL), cooking and live music.

Is this your 1st Primera? What got you into a Nissan Primera and what keeps you in it?

Indeed this is my 1st Primera. I bought her from a local main dealer in March 2002 when she was only 10 months old. I needed a reliable economical hatchback that would accommodate a family. The family has grown up and moved out but the Primera has stayed. The reliability is what keeps me in the car, and the enjoyment I get out of driving one of the finest handling front wheel drive cars ever made!

How did you find the NPOC forums and what keeps you here? Would you recommend the club to others?

I turned to the internet in 2003, after fitting a K&N filter to the Primera and the MIL had come on and stayed on. NPOC was in its infancy then and most of the members were running P10s and P11s - I don't remember if I ever got an answer as to why the MIL came on at that time, but we all know what causes the MAF to die now.

The friends I have made over the years, the help and advice that can be gained on this forum are invaluable. I have recommended NPOC to other Primera owners in the past and continue to do so. Joining up here is certainly the best thing you can do, if you own a Primera and good fun even if you don't own one.

You've been a member for a few years now but 2008 was the year where you stepped up to the plate, you went from being a normal online member to an all out Club Meet whore! You and your car got out and about to several meets during 2008, what prompted the change?

I had a bit more time on my hands and I went to the Weston meet (my local), I made friends, put faces to names and got hooked on the club meets. Hopefully I should be able to get to loads more this year.

Pretty much as the above question. During 2008 your cracking 144 seemed to transform on a monthly basis, it went from minty mint standard, to a very tastefully modified Primera - Why?

Basically, the car got to the age where things needed replacing and as I found out, the upgraded parts were roughly the same price as the standard ones. Once you start modding it becomes a bug, you are always on the lookout for something new to do. I wanted to turn it into something that stood out, without standing out so much it became a target. I'm pleased with the end result. A few months ago I called into the local dealers, for some spares and I came out to find 2 salesmen literally drooling over my car, with most of the comments relating to the headlamps.

Talking about modifications to the car, now would be a great time to give us your full spec list!

• Custom headlamps
  • HIDs
  • Meshed and de-barred grille
  • Chrome indicator bulbs
  • Clear side repeaters with chrome bulbs
  • Tein lowering springs
  • KYB AGXs
  • Megan racing Stainless header and front pipe
  • Custom 2"  Infinity cat back system, with a 3 x 5" tailpipe and relocated rear O2 sensor
  • 17" Wolfrace Hybrid alloy wheels with Toyo Proxes tyres
  • P11 GT rear spoiler
  • Custom acoustic shelf
  • JBL GTO 6 x 9s
  • JVC KD BT 22 bluetooth headuint.
  • Auto dimming rearview mirror
  • David Leslie tribute stickers
  • Leather gear knob
  • De-laminated door pillars
  • The all important and awesome A&S CAI with an APEXI cone filter

What's been your best or most enjoyable modification to date?

My first mod, the de-globed and sprayed headlamps. The 144 should never have had amber globes at all and the Sport / Sport+ should have had the internals matt black from day one. I saw an awesome 144 wagon on G20.net three years back, where the owner (Christian) had de-globed and sprayed the inside of his headlamps - After a few emails, with some helpful hints and tips, I set to work. I still find the look completely awesome almost three years later.

Is the car now at the level, where the only plans you have is to keep her clean and polished? Or are you intending further changes, any secrets we can squeeze outta you?

No, I have a Nismo AFPR coming, thanks to a group buy set up by ragt20. I would also like to add Sport+ or GT LE leather seats, along with the headlamp washers off a Sport+. I may upgrade the sound system a bit more.

Do you think the UK tuning and styling companies do enough for the 144?

Far from it, most of the tuning components end up finding their way over from the States or Japan and luckily, the 144 shares a lot of these with it?s predecessors. As for bodykits, I've only seen one 144 with a body kit and I believe that kit originated on the continent.

The 144 seems to be massively overlooked by the UK styling market (I think that is true for the Primera in general). Now that there is quite a large following here, it may be worthwhile press ganging some of the styling companies into catering for our needs.

Time for the quick fire question round!

Your dream car (production) if money was no object? -  Lotus Carlton

Coffee or tea? - Both

Your favourite drink (alcoholic)? - Brains SA

Pool or snooker? - Pool

Fight or flight? - Flight

Tell us your favourite NPOC car? - There are a lot of them and in no particular order: Naughtynorm, JC#79, Nabber, Spiffy, Gary1972, bigsydney, Angel1 (I hope it gets repaired and returned to glory), ragt20, NikC, NordicScooby and anything that Ant-Dat is driving.

Many thanks for taking the time to let us know all about you and your car Peter, it's been a pleasure! Congratulations once again for winning Car Of The Month for February 2009! Please take the microphone and shout out your thanks for anyone who's helped you get right here.

A big thank you to everyone who put up with my gobby attitude when I joined up, I'm surprised I didn't get banned there and then. Also to everyone, who pointed me in the right direction when I came to decision making on the mods I've made. There are way too many to remember let alone name.

The biggest thank you goes to my other half Sharon, who has had to put up with me disappearing outside to do yet another modification and some large credit card bills due to these modifications, or having to change her weekend plans, because I'm off to another meet.

Congratulations once again to Peter.

February 2009 COTM - Stonegrey

Written by essNchill
 Post Reply Post Reply