Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 144 MAF sensor /Oxygen sensor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 144 MAF sensor /Oxygen sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eazee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 144 MAF sensor /Oxygen sensor
    Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 3:22pm

Hi All,

I'm new hereSmile as you can tell, I had a primera a couple of years ago then an Almera and am looking at buying another Primera.

Anyway went to see one yesterday, a v plate p11 144, it was in very good condition, but the engine light was on, the seller said it needed an oxgen sensor, he said it doesn't effect the driving and his uncle who is a mechanic gets it switched off for him,and it only comes back on when taken on a long journey, but he also said his uncle tweaked the idle to 3000 revs for some reason, I'm guessing it is to counter idle proplems?
and said the car needed warming up for a few minutes before driving off.

Anyway having researched this forums and others, it looks like it could be the Oxygen(lambda) sensor but this doesn't always solve the problem but everyone who's tried the MAF sensor have been successful.

Am I right?

Some advice pleaseConfused

My local nissan dealer quoted me £300 for a Maf sensor but on some forums I have read they should only be charging £45

And again I got quoted £130 for an oxygen sensor where again on some forums mention they say between £55 to £85

So how much should they cost?

Should I leave this car alone or maybe take a punt?

Thanks in advance for your help.

dyp View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member
Schwarzenegger!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 3:31pm

Nissan dealers will rip you off, would suggest if you buy a MAF look at ebay or your local scrapyard.

Tweaked idle to 3000???? (thats hell of alot for idle)  could be a problem with the air idle control valve being gummed up???

with regards to leaving it or taking a punt its up to you. whats sort of mileage and price has it got?

Oh welcome to NPOC too

eazee View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eazee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 3:45pm

thanks for the quick reply,

it's a 99 V reg, 1.8s 61,000 miles 2 previous owners, including current owner who's had it since 2002, the service history is a bit scarce full but stamps missing for the last two and no receipts or old MOTs, the uncle has serviced the car himself and penned the last two intervals.

The seller is selling it for the uncle who is a mechanic according to him, the owner (uncle) lives up north but the seller (nephew) is in London.

The car is very clean inside and out and drives fine.

They want £750
eazee View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eazee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 3:48pm

sorry I might have miss heard the 3000 revs bit, but yep he did say something has been tweaked to overcome the iddle engine light problem, and I don't get the few minutes warm up bit.

imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 9:07pm
Welcome to NPOC

If the seller says it just needs an Oxygen sensor, why doesn't he just fit one?

Ebay MAFs do not work very well on the 2.0 P11-144.
Not sure about the 1.8

Some of the sensors can be expensive.

IMHO Best to buy a fully working car unless it is very cheap or you know exactly what you are doing.

£750 is pretty good but it's not a bargain considering it has a fault.
philly View Drop Down
Play Nice Group (N)
Play Nice Group (N)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 10:38pm
welcome on board

1.8 is a weird engine,i dont think a lot is known about it from the dealers point of view.
i hit walls with them and they need the car in for days ££££££,guys on here do know there stuff i can vouch for it i have had probs with my 1.8s, there s always an answer off npoc.

enjoy

philly

3000 idle is bad use more fuel god knows what you are doing to the engine when it is cold.... stay clear is my opinion there is loads out there.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 11:07pm
Hi Ahmed and a big welcome to NPOCWave

If the base idle has been fudged to a higher than normal limit (750 ish), it's been done to mask a stalling issue.

I reckon there's potentially 2 problems with this 144.

1 = Suspect MAF - We know this will cause the car to stall at low revs.
2 = O2 sensor (usually the rear one), this can throw the check engine light.

Most times the CEL can come on and the car will still run fine etc.

Nissan will take your pants down with any of the above 2 items you buy from them.. Much much cheaper elsewhere etc.

Enjoy the forums and take care,
Shaun
yogi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2009 at 11:19pm
My money's on the MAF, had an identical fault after driving on the motorway then the mil lamp illuminated, plugged it in with a scanner and PO171 code came up (rear o2 sensor) few weeks later the club visited a rolling road day which showed the fueling was all over the place which led me too change the MAF and ever since it's been perfect.

Just to add my 144 is an 1800 Thumbs%20Up 
Previous:P11-144 Qg18
Current: Nissan Juke Sport
eazee View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eazee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2009 at 12:31pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcomeThumbs%20Up

Lol at the "Nissan will take you pants down" shaun

imckay: exactly what I thought, i.e why did he not fix it if it was a simple job (according to him).

Yep I think I'll give this one a miss.

Thanks again for the advice
 Post Reply Post Reply