Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 144 Fault / Error code P0171
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 144 Fault / Error code P0171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithyblues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 144 Fault / Error code P0171
    Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 9:46pm
I have a Primera P11-144 and recently called out the AA becasue the engine management light came on. The Engineer plugged in the PC and at told him fault code P0171 (Fuel sysem lean, bank 1). He found a breather pipe from the top of the rocker cover to the air intake just after the air filter. He replaced the pipe and reset the fault code.
Car had always been running fine (and still is), but after a few miles the management light came back on.
Anyone had this problem and know how to solve this?

Thanks

The engineeerP11-144 PRIMERA
EVOGT View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
Marco 58#

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVOGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 10:19pm
Front o2 sensor of maf, but a fault with either seems to through the same code. Mine was a front o2 sensor but Steve's was a faulty maf.
Stevie J View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 10:26pm
Having the same problem with mine, light came on and code 0171.
I replaced the manifold (front) o2 sensor with a univerasal 3 wire (£38 from motor factors and spliced it to original plug) and thought I'd solved it, but the engine started hunting when around 1800 rpm and would idle ok but then drop down to 500 rpm then cut out. Started the car again and would drive really well, had it not been for this occasional cutting out i wouldnt have thought there was a problem. I have ordered a MAF, but since then it has been steadily better and the light has not come on any more. It doesnt cut out either. I did clean the MAF by taking it out of its housing and giving it a good spraying with windowlene (glass cleaner - non smear type).
I'm just wondering if it was the ECU just adjusting to the new o2 sensor that caused the stalling? Well I'll have a new MAF soon and will keep it on standby in case it plays up again.
Keithyblues View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithyblues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 10:50pm
thanks Stevie. Is the manifold sensor you replaced the one at the front (looks like a spark plug from above)? or is it just above that (looks like an electrical connection block)? I have noticed that sometimes when sitting at traffic lights the engine revs go right down to 500 rpm, but doesnt cut out. The engine pics up on its own. I seem only to be able to get to the MAF by taking off the air filter cover and looking at it through the air intake tubing. Can I spray it with cleaner there?
Stevie J View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 10:58pm
Yes, it screws into the top of the manifold, and you need a lambda socket to get it out with (from a good auto spares shop) that fits on the end of a ratchet and extension. You will need a breaker bar as it is very tight and may come out with the manifold adaptor socket (the larger hex fitting which the o2 sensor is screwed into which is ALSO screwed into the Manifold) still attached to it.

To clean the MAF properly you need anti tamper torx socket to undo the 2 screws in the MAF housing and then the MAF pulls out of its hole.
Spray it with  carb cleaner in the end - you will see the little metal supports for the hot film in what looks like a little hood at the end of the MAF. DO NOT use anything silicon based to clean it with and dont poke or prod at it - its very delicate. Make sure it is thoroughly dry before re-connecting it.
Try the MAF cleaning first. Check all vacuum hoses for leaks, then if that doesnt work, then its either going to be a faulty MAF or 02 sensor.
If its done over 100K the o2 sensor should be replaced anyway as they dont generally last longer than this.
Stevie J View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 11:04pm
Here is the MAF out of its housing, the red arrow shows what needs to be sprayed with the cleaner:

EVOGT View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
Marco 58#

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVOGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 11:08pm
Steve I do not recommend cleaning the film type maf sensor at all, you should only really clean the wire type with carb cleaner.
Stevie J View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 11:13pm
Well in that case, replacement of both the O2 sensor and the MAF would be the solution, although since the other day my car has been performing a lot better and doesnt stall now, and that was after cleaning the MAF thoroughly with glass cleaner spray. I am keeping the new MAF that comes as a standby replacement.
I guess it just took the ECU a while to adapt to the new o2 sensor?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithyblues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 11:21pm
The car has done 95K, so it looks like the 02 sensor might be the best option. I noticed that to get it off I'll probably have to cut wires and reconnect.  Recomended? TA
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keithyblues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2009 at 11:23pm
oh, and i dont have an anti tamper torx socket that fits the MAF housing!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>