Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 144 Fault / Error code P0171
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 144 Fault / Error code P0171

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 3:51pm
Been following this thread with interest.

I had the same fault code (P0171) which appeared a month or so ago. I read the code and cleared it without doing anything.

About 2 weeks ago the light came on again, same code. This time i didn't clear it, but the light went out itself after a day or so. The same thing happened last week, and again the light went out itself after a couple of hours

From reading the post, could this be an intermittent fault with the MAF or O2 sensor? Is that possible?

I've never seen a management light go out itself before without doing anything.

thanks

FluX View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 4:57pm
I'm not saying its definite, but I'd put money on a dirty MAF. I've had 3 P10's which were no problem, and now got 2 P11-144's which both had same problem - dirty MAF.
Now both of them are fine after very careful cleaning of the MAF.

The MIL should go out after a couple of drives if the fuel/ air ratio falls back into spec
garyh View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by FluX FluX wrote:

I'm not saying its definite, but I'd put money on a dirty MAF. I've had 3 P10's which were no problem, and now got 2 P11-144's which both had same problem - dirty MAF.
Now both of them are fine after very careful cleaning of the MAF.

The MIL should go out after a couple of drives if the fuel/ air ratio falls back into spec

Thanks

After reading this and other threads, i assumed it would be turn out to be the MAF. Think i'll leave it for a few weeks and see if light comes back on again.

Can you clean the film type MAF's on P11-144's? I always thought it had to be replaced?

krazylegz View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazylegz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 11:48pm
99% of people on here would say you have to replace the foil type MAF's however flux says hes successfully cleaned two using fluxclene and a fine artists tooth brush, i've got two none working MAFS so i'm going to attempt to clen mine when i get home on the weekend of the 25th
FluX View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 9:13am
Originally posted by krazylegz krazylegz wrote:

99% of people on here would say you have to replace the foil type MAF's however flux says hes successfully cleaned two using fluxclene and a fine artists tooth brush, i've got two none working MAFS so i'm going to attempt to clen mine when i get home on the weekend of the 25th

toothbrush?? Shocked I'm sure you meant paintbrush didn't you Krazy?Big%20smile
FluX View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FluX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 9:26am
and yeah I have cleaned two MAF's and both are working to what I would say is "100%" or as near as.

BUT...

I only recommend doing this if, like me, or Krazylegs, you have a spare. I took one apart last year so I knew how delicate the element was.

tony_primera_se View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony_primera_se Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2009 at 5:59pm
Hi,
i have  p11 144 1.8 Pimera.
i too have the P0171 code,
popped it into nissan today and the consult and the guy said ah oxygen sensor,
possibly the one before the cat,
asked how much and he recomended changing both to be safe,
then they hit me with a price of £160 each plus vat Cry

Popped into local motor factors and they said yup can get them
this is when it got interesting,
they said theres only one listed on your car, i said no there are two sensors,
they were certain there is only one, so i got under the car and said there 1 and theres the other in the exhaust pipe that goes under the sump,
he said no probs they must be the same sensor,
so later today i had another look, the pre cat sensor is a 3 wire and the one after the cat is a 4 wire sensor,
is this correct?
if so wheres the best place to get replacement sensors,
are they bosch sensors? if so any opne got the bosch numbers off the 2 sensors please.
Stock P11-144 1.8 16V SE
Stevie J View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 6:21pm

99% chance if you havent changed the MAF, it'll be that thats going down.

Try the local breakers for another MAF, but you can get them online for much less than Nissan.
There are loads of threads on the 0171 code - do a search and you will see that it is the MAF every time.
Replacing the O2 sensors will be a waste of money and Nissan would do this, charge you for it, then tell you - oh, it must be the MAF thats at fault then!
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 7:06pm
If you do need a new MAF, try your local Bosch dealer.
They sell proper Bosch exchange MAFs for around £50.

tony_primera_se View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony_primera_se Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 8:50pm
cheeers guys,
have bought the pre cat sensor now though :(
will enquire about the MAF this week,
local motor factors are a bosch agent so will give them the part numbers off the MAF.
Stock P11-144 1.8 16V SE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>