Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > NPOC Car Of The Month > 2006 Archive
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

August 2006 - NPOC @ JAE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
NPOC_COTM View Drop Down
NPOC Staff
NPOC Staff

COTM Staff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NPOC_COTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: August 2006 - NPOC @ JAE
    Posted: 15 Jun 2007 at 1:44am

Nissan Primera Owners Club at JAE Peterborough.

Feature of the Month August 2006

Intro

Friday 21st July 2006 saw NPOC arrive at the Japanese Auto Extravaganza, the biggest event on the clubs calendar and the entire Japanese scene. Our members prepare for this event months in advance, the build up is always huge with modifications being made especially for the event. A lot of meets can be about the cars but this is far different, it's a three day event and tends to be a time for members to sit down and get to know each other in person, old faces to catch up and good times to roll!! It's a camping holiday too, the tents go up and you can stay on site for the duration, fantastic! Our stand was great this year, excellent sized plot and our turn-out was fantastic. Members travel the length and bredth of the country to attend, some travel further than they need to (note to self, A1 next time) and we all gather for a superb weekend of JAE including trophies and a barbeque! Read on...

Arriving

Arriving at the Showground, you quickly get a feel for how big the event is. The NPOC plot was at the far end so you have to drive across the full width of the grounds to arrive and it's like a maze!! Our plot was unmissable thanks to our huge white gazeebo with awesome NPOC banners and flags. It was a really proud feeling to roll up and see our presence at the event, we were firmly on the map and represented ourselves tremendously.

The Cars

It was great to catch up with familiar faces and meet new ones. Seeing the cars in the flesh is always better than photographs and of course, the secret modifications are finally unveiled! Lets take a look at some of the cars from JAE:

JAE Members Review - Gobbo

JAE 2006 was my first major car show, and what a way to start! What an awesome show, the sheer amount of cars on show, everything from Impreza's to MX5's, from Skyline's to Honda Jazz's, if it's Japanese, it's there. Even after walking round for two days, I still didn't have chance to see everything in detail. I think after the Impreza Drivers Club and the Supra Owners Club, NPOC was the biggest there, so many Primera's in one place! One of my favourite Japanese cars has to be the Honda NSX, so I spent nearly half a day trying to track them all down, a definite high light was getting to sit in one of the special edition Type-R versions. I've been a follower of a D1GB drift series since the beginning of the current season, so getting to see some of official D1GB cars up so close was another definite highlight. The whole organisation of the show was brilliant, and the organised events such as show and shine and drifiting made the weekend. Seeing an original 260Z in concourse condition was simply amazing, and hearing it's straight six on throttle bodies was out of this world. The flame off was a slight disappointment, personally cars that flame on over-run are cool, cars that have a butane cylinder in the boot to spray 4 foot flames out the back isn't cool. I also picked up some bargains, Auto Glym had a large trade stand selling all their car cleaning stuff at much cheaper RRP. Overall I had a great weekend, I think the one single best thing was meeting all the guys off the NPOC forum, getting advice on my car and seeing so many Japanese cars. On the way back I managed to convoy up with a couple of Evo's, and MR2 and a Micra, and had a great time on the drive back from a mega weekend. A big thanks to the organisors, to the bosses' at NPOC and the members of NPOC for making it such an awesome weekend.

The Awards!

Ahead of JAE, the club announced it was going to present awards at the event for various categories of excellence and this created a huge buzz, everyone wanted to win a trophy and the competition was very high. The following images display the presentation, the car and the winning name:

Well, what an amazing car this is. There was a buzz around on Saturday with whispers of 'blimey, whose is this', astoundingly immaculate P10. This car would surely have been a close contender in the Show & Shine category also, obviously cared for thoroughly and very worthy winner of the award.

This award was said by him to have been tied up from the beginning, Davids GT is a masterpiece and the result of years of painstaking effort and care on his part. There were a fine selection of P11's on show this year and I'm sure we can all agree that Davids is the benchmark we are all chasing and thoroughly deserving of the trophy.

Niks P11-144 SE+ is a superb example of the series and our members recognise his attention to detail and passion for his car. His modifications are carefully chosen and always fitted with professional quality. Watch out for this car returning in 2007.

Only one P12 turned out this year which was disappointing but we were all chuffed that Jim brought along his cracking twelve. It's safe to say he'd have won the vote regardless of the competition, fantastic example of the P12 series and very worthy winner in the category.

Most people will agree that when black shines properly, no other colour can touch it and yep, this GT belonging to Taffy shined properly. The detailing was unbelievable, the whole car shone with phenomenal depth and this was always going to be the car to beat in this category, nobody beat it.

Unfortunately away from our stand at the time of the awards, Miss Geisha Racer picked up the trophy for best Original Specification Primera. The condition of her gleaming uber-rare white GT Saloon is remarkable and thoroughly deserving of the award.

David Evans kindly offered the use of his PS2 install for a Gran Turismo 4 quickest lap competition. The PS2 addicts came out in force and the trophy was skillfully won by James (guest of Chris L46_GTG) who lashed in the quickest lap in style.

There isn't much rarer than a mystic saloon and Andys is a fantastic example. The styling and condition of the car made it an obvious choice for many voters and it was a worthy winner of one of our top three car awards.

Another rare beast, the Nordic Saloon GTLE belonging to club owner Shaun caught the eye of many and totally deserved an award. It's an amazing example, beautifully styled and presented.

It had to be didn't it, the GT belonging to David, from the styling through to the pristine engine bay and crowd pulling boot install, this was the car you chose as the Best Primera at the show. Think yours can beat this? See you at JAE 2007....

JAE Members Review - NikC

We got there friday afternoon and it was sweltering, but that didn't spoil it! We were among the first people to get there, and it was great to get to know everybody, a good tip is, if you're shy get there early, then you can meet people as they arrive! I was greeted by NickGT and his lovely family, Shunky, Splank and CrazyTaxi. I knew it was going to be a great weekend as soon as I arrived! We got chatting and soon everyone started to appear, at about 7pm the stand was full of lovely Primeras, and looking very good! We were made to feel very welcome - and Shunky gave me a can of the best drink ever - IRN BRU, hah! We all got the tents set up, and the night progressed on, soon we were all chatting away near the marquee, looked at our watches and it was 4:45am! I was proud to be part of the staying up late hardcore ;)

Woke up saturday morning, after about 2 hours' sleep! Felt a bit rough but I soon freshened up with two litres of ice cold water over my head, hehe. Saturday was the main day for the show, with the drifting, and a lot of people turning up. There was a flame off competition, and lots of trade stands to empty your wallet! I had a wicked day Saturday, David Evans very kindly gave me a window switch to replace my broken one, and Kev F fitted it for me. That's the great thing about NPOC, everyone wants to help, and everyone gets stuck in. I won't mention the tornado and rainstorm though... Ha! Saturday night was really kicking, we had a barbeque, very kindly done by Shunky, and Shaun's lovely wife Caroline who made everyone feel properly well looked after, what a gem that lady is, and Ade also had a go with the BBQing as well! Nice one Ade! It was great to meet everyone, and chat, especially my main man Stevie! The awards were a brilliant piece, and I scooped the Best 144 trophy which made me incredibly made up! I couldn't believe it, and it really was a lovely part of the show.

Sunday was a bit quieter, and was winding down a bit, but was still brilliant, I drove Stevie's weapon, the GTT! Wow is all I can say! We did a walk around the other stands and saw some sweet cars, and just chilled out for the rest of the day. Along with some picture taking! We left the EOE showgrounds at about 3, followed by Stevie and Normshay, who went off oop north!

It was an amazing weekend, and I never wanted it to end, met some old friends, and made some new ones too, some real legends and lovely people in this club, and I'm very proud to be a member of it!

Well done guys and girls, we had a lovely time!

The Storm!

The sun had been beating down all day Saturday, perfect show weather until the sky suddenly turned grey, the heavens opened and the rain lashed down. Along with it came high winds which caused problems with some of our tents especially our gazeebo. Heroic members dashed inside and hung onto it until the wind died down. Mid afternoon the storm cleared and the sun shone once again and the chamois leathers re-appeared!

JAE Members Review - MarkButs3

JAE this year was bigger and better than the previous two I?ve been to. I really didn?t explore all of the show that much though; I walked around once on Sunday to visit the guys I know on different forums, and have a quick look at the other cars on show. Most of my time was spent on our plot chatting, drinking and eating!

The turnout from members was fantastic with a wide range of cars from standard spec to mildly modified, through to the highly modified. All were a credit to our club. There was a great atmosphere all weekend. The weather was great, I think nearly everyone went home with some areas sunburnt, and when the storm hit everyone joined in and stopped the gazebo being blown away in the gale force wind.

After the storm, came the highlight of the weekend, the BBQ and booze laid on by the owners along with the awards presentation. Voting for that was very difficult due to the quality of cars on show. Shaun presented the awards in his usual style and managed to look embarrassed when presenting one to himself! Adrian and David did a great job on the BBQs and Caroline sorted out the salad and bread cakes (that's baps/rolls/buns/barn cakes etc depending on where you're from. Let's not forget Paul doing the job I hate most in the kitchen; chopping onions!

The morning after breakfast was so enjoyable, top marks to Caroline and David for sorting that out.

All in all, a well organised enjoyable weekend, thanks to everyone who came and let?s make next year just as good?

The Barbeque

Our four gracious club owners pooled together to provide a mountain of drinks and food to keep everyone going for the weekend which was throroughly enjoyed and appreciated by all. David (Shunky) and the fabulous Caroline (Mrs Shaun) took on the role of chefs and kept the food coming thick and fast and made sure everyone was eating. The organisation was fantastic, even sausages and bacon for breakfat on Sunday, awesome!! Once again, we thank everyone involved in organising the barbeque and drinks for a superb time and it was cool to be looked after like that!

Hand Picked Moments!

In any even like this, certain moments captured on camera will always stand out and live in our memories way beyond the show itself. Here are some legendary moments from JAE:

Seeing Steves touring P11 was a great sight but when another stickered P11 rolled up, we had a photo shoot on our hands and a fantastic result:

NPOCs golden couple en route:

Daves boot still open into the night:

Holding onto that gazeebo during the storm plus Shunkys short shorts:

Never sleep outside your tent at JAE:

Gaz never could resist a sheep:

Everyone having a good time on the night:

JAE Member Review - DavidEvans007

My JAE experience started on the Friday at 4pm, I met up with Matt and Chris at the Cardiff Gate services on the M4 to start our journey to Peterborough. We headed out onto the M4 only to get stuck in traffic from an accident a few junctions down, I hope this wasn't a sign of things to come !! When we got to Ross on Wye all of a sudden Chris dropped back and there was no sign of Matt, I slowed it down to about 75mph and a few minutes later we were all back together again. As we drove up the M50 I got a text message from our next convoy joinee, the one and only P12 to make the weekend owned by Jim, the text said he was at the Strensham services on the M5 and wondered how long we'd be, for a bit of fun I replied 1 hour, then gave it a few minutes as I visualised Jim cursing and swearing wondering what to do for an hour at the services. I put him out of his misery a few minutes later by texting him to say we'd be there in about 30 minutes. We arrived at the services and parked up, Matt gets out and thanks Chris for waiting for him saying that his little 1.6 was struggling a bit, I?d completely forgot his was a 1.6 and we laughed as he described travelling at speeds exceeding the motorway limit to catch us up after he fell off the tail. I think Jim was kind of thinking 'what have I let myself in for '!!?.

Anyway, after a pee stop we all mounted up again and set off on leg 2. Keeping at speeds of around 70 to 85mph we continued our journey. Our next scheduled stop was for Andy to join us at the first layby on the A14, I kept in touch with him giving our location at various points along the route so he could judge his departure time so we would all converge on the layby at the same time. As we headed down the M6 nearing the A14 I received a phone call. Dave, we've went the wrong way' it was Claire, my response 'Knowing Andy, that doesn't surprise me !!, the planned meeting was all to pot. We pulled onto the A14 and continued to convoy to the A605 turning where we pulled into the services, I phoned Andy at that point to tell them we had stopped for them at the services. 10 minutes later I heard the sound of an SR20DE being dropped through the gears, Andy was with us at last, or so we thought, he got the entry into the services wrong and had to come through the exit instead to meet up !!. So we were all together for the last part of the journey.

We arrived at the showground just after 8pm and made our way to the NPOC pitch. After parking up and getting the 'hello I haven't seen you in ages' bits out of the way it was time to build the weekends living quarters over in the camp site. I stayed up chatting to people till 02:30am at which point I decided it was nighty night time, I said my farewells and retired for the night.

Saturday morning started at 06:30am with the usual clean the car from top to bottom event that takes place at every show, then it rained !! so the shammy was broken out to remove the majority of the surface water. I spent the rest of the day standing around the car watching people trying to win the PS2 challenge trophy and checking out all the other P11s on the stand to try grab some ideas of where to go next with mine. I had loads of people not associated with the club come up to me and ask where I got the rear bumper from, thank god for one offs?. lol Saturday afternoon saw the weather change dramatically, I was standing at the back of the car, telling everyone that there was nothing to worry about, the bad weather was missing us, then the wind changed direction and all hell broke loose, my immediate worry was the tent, as I headed to the campsite I saw a big green RAF issue tent heading skywards and thought 'oh boy, here we go!!' I jumped into the tent and grabbed the outside cover and held on while the wind and rain took full effect, I must have been fighting with the tent for at least 20 minutes before the winds dropped enough that I dared take a step outside. I headed back to the show area to see tents, gazebos flags, all sorts lying flat and people tipping their tents up to drain the water out of them. Luckily, the NPOC tent survived with the help of everyone holding it down.

Saturday evening saw the Awards ceremony, I had a feeling the way everyone was talking throughout the day that I'd be up for one award, but to win both best P11 and Car of the Show came as a massive surprise, on picking up the second award, everyone shouted 'speech' what could I say apart from everyone saw what happened to the silver car and it was because of the friendly spirit felt throughout the club that I had to do it again, I see my car as the unofficial NPOC club car and was delighted the club members saw it as a worthy winner. Then it was BBQ and beer time !! with having the young boys at home, I don?t dabble in the falling down juice just in case anything goes wrong at home and I have to leave. But even without, watching everyone else made my night enjoyable, plus it meant I could get up fresh as a daisy on the Sunday morning. I chatted to a fair few people and I think I set CrazyTaxi on the road to ruin by advising him on his stereo set-up for his car.. Lol! funniest bit of the night was just before I went to bed, the security guards pulled up and asked if Normshays car was mine as they wanted the music turned down, to then see the security guard stand there for 5 minutes trying to get any sign of life out of a certain sleeping beauty in his car while the bass was pounding out the boot was a laugh.

Sunday at JAE was a very strange day, I don?t know whether its because of the Saturday night, but everyone seems to be packing up early ready to get home. I used the time to, for the first time all weekend, go for a walk round the rest of the show to see what other cars had turned up, then it was back to the campsite to start packing my tent and belongings away. I left the show with Matt in convoy at around 1pm, after stopping for petrol on the A605, it was non stop back to South Wales, I arrived back home at around 4:30pm. All in all a great weekend and the end of another JAE outing.

What Else Happens?

Is there a JAE outside NPOC, for sure! It's easy to lose the weekend on the NPOC stand amongst friends but there is so much going on around the showground, plenty for everyone to do. We had two full days of drifting to watch, so close to the track you can smell the action:

On Saturday night JAE gave us a huge fireworks display which was fantastic. The pitch black sky was turned all sorts of colours, everyone just stood transfixed on the sky and a huge cheer went up at the end, all appreciated.

Competitions happen around the ground, always a pleasure to watch the best meet with the best and fight it out in the flame off and the show & shine.

The Summary!

JAE is way more than just a car show, it's a community gathering together and spending quality time with each other. You can bring your family, you can bring your dog if you like, it's just a great weekend and a pity it's only once a year! Sure, there are other meets but nothing pulls the crowd quite like JAE. Looking back over the previous years, it is evident that the NPOC crowd gets bigger each time, it's a guarantee that we'll be even bigger still in 2007. To all of those that couldn't make the even this time around, I hope this review has gave a small insight into what happened this year and to anyone that has never been to a JAE before, I hope this makes you want to come along next year. None of this is possible without our members and their families and NPOC would like to thank every one of you for turning out and representing, everyone had a part to play in making this a fantastic weekend for us all.

See you all again at JAE in 2007......

Written by Stevie-Boy & members!

Post Reply Post Reply