Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 2.0 - How to drain radiator?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 2.0 - How to drain radiator?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edenworkshops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 10:03am
As I say I only saw this done, I am a dummy when it comes to cars.

Using this pipe I speak of made sense to me as it is the highest point of the cooling system, the logical poinjt to bleed air from. Same as when you bleed a household radiator, you have a valve right at the top of the radiator.

Maybe the pipework is different?

If so does using this pipe to bleed air from make sense to you.

Tell me this is an easy problem to overcome :)

Richard
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 10:13am

i agree the highest point is the best place to bleed, the system,  When i bleed the system on any car i aways do it with teh rad cap, and that goes for my converted cars and cars i have done for other people

I guess it's what your used to,

have you got a picture of this pipe? i'd be intersted to see it.

bleeding system is an easy job, sadly the water pump is a bit of a challange to change.

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
edenworkshops View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edenworkshops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 6:25pm
Hello again

Well I had a crack at it this afternoon.

I decided to have a dry run and just change the water to see how I got on, more by luck than judgement I seem to have done it, the engine doesnt overheat, the water system seems to be full and the heaters work ok, which I have been told they would not if I had an airlock.

It was not straightforward, it took a lot of squeezing hoses and jiggling with the valve on this pipe I spoke about.....a little water did come out of this valve, but I am still left not knowing what I did right....one moment the heaters weren't working the next minute after squeezing the bottom hose the heaters just came on.

So I am going to have another go in the morning with antifreeze this time.

I am puzzled by a couple of things.

In my manual it says the cooling system has a volume of about 6 litres (including resevoir?)

There was no way that 6 litres came out when I undid the bottom hose pipe, and it came out only from the bottom of the radiator.

The inlet and outlet pipes from the engine are both mounted quite high up.

So how do you drain the water that is in the engine block??

Thanks again.

Richard
edenworkshops View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edenworkshops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 12:55pm
Hello

I did start another thread about this issue some time ago, but it seems  to have died.

I am half waythrough putting antifreeze in my 1997 2 litre primera.

The heater is working ok which I understood to be an indication that the system had no air locks.

The engine does not overrheat, it has been idling for over an hour.

The problem is that the top radiator hose is hot but the bottom one is cold.

Any idea what this means?

Thank yoiu

Richard
StonyRay View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Dandy Emo Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StonyRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 8:21pm
does the fan kick in? if it does and doesn't overheat. stop panicking.

I like my cars like I like my women, big and from the 80's
Sluffer View Drop Down
NPOC Legend Elite
NPOC Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sluffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 1:45am
I would say the the thermostat is stuck, you should be getting hot water in the bottom pipe. Are both pipes hot that run into the bulkhead?
It is much better to have loved and lost a sheep, than it is to have never loved one at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12