Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 1.8 Over Heating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pudj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 1.8 Over Heating
    Posted: 17 Nov 2009 at 11:09pm
hi today had to put 4 litres of water in after a trip down motorway (needle was in the red) drove home (50 miles)checked water, had to add 1/2 litre it was dark by this time so could only check obvious stuff,I might add the car drove fine no lack of power no smoke no emulsifing on oil cap ect so was just wondering if anyone got any experience on this ?
ju5t View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ju5t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 9:46am
if your topping up the Radiator with water dont forget the antifreeze!!! its winter now

whatever it is causing it it should be visible as its so much water. just get on the floor and see if u can see a leak once the car is running and hot.

There is also a topup tank on the primera's which has a flow valve on it these can fail ocasionally
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 9:56am

Originally posted by ju5t ju5t wrote:

There is also a topup tank on the primera's which has a flow valve on it these can fail ocasionally

A what Confused the bottle on a primera has an expansion bottle to well allow the expansion of water in teh coolant system there is no valve on it it is all done by heat and expansion of the water.  

pudj 

first off welcome to npoc, check your cooling fans are working, if these are not then it will overheat, 

When you put the water in did you wait till the engine had cooled? If not you may well have cause some damage (alloy head)

1/2 liter is a not a lot of water in a system that takes close to 8, when was it last checked it could well have been low before.

What i would do is run the car keeping eye on th temp gauge and make sure the twin coolant fans kick in, if not then this should be the first place to look.

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
pudj View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pudj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 1:13pm
update after inspection today I can see scaled water marks around what I think is the thermostat houseng (guessing) its on the top end of the engine and has a fat pipe running from the radiator when I touch were the scale is it apears that water comes out could this be the cause of 4 1/2 litres of water missing it only seems slow hardly noticalble more like a weeping.
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:13pm
Generally speaking on most cars, water leaks can be difficult to find sometimes as they may only leak at maximum pressure and then it suddenly changes from a damp patch to a jet usually when you aren't looking for it; hoses and radiators being favourite for that trick.  I've seen a narrow jet about a metre long on one car I had.

Another way is when the radiator leaks as a steadyish dribble it can dry out on the hot radiator in no time, so again you don't see much unless it's bad.

Don't forget the water pump, they leak once the bearing starts to wear, a leak can be the first sign a few hundred miles before total failure and all your water is dumped in a few minutes.  As you seem to have ruled out a blown head gasket, the pump is the one fault I would want to eliminate first as they fail big time and suddenly, although very rare on a Primera.

Another huge leak a friend had was with a Sunny which had core plugs in the engine; he didn't use antifreeze for precisely 6 weeks one summer and one core plug rotted through.

P11 and P11-144 Primeras must be the least troubled cars ever for water leaks though.  Even the P10 was good despite the radiator fins rotting.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
pudj View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pudj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 8:29pm
after taking the suspect part to pieces (thermostat housing) I found no thermostat so I still dont know if it is the housing im messing with,but anyway I made a gasket from a cereal box and put it on only to find it wasnt sealing properly I tried 3 difrent times all to no avail,now a friend of mine has said if it is the housing then it should have a thermostat in it and that will have a seal on it to so it wont seal properly till a new thermostat is put in he also said I would be using more fuel without one in,sorry if I sound a bit thick cars arnt my thing  :p anyone shed any light on what I've been told?
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 6:54am
if it's only weeping then when it's under pressrure it could well be a bigger leak,
Got a picture of the bit your working on (it should have a thermostat in there as its not good for an engine to run with out one) The thermostat also acts as part of teh seal (if you look close you will see a reses in the housing. The thermostat also has no gasket ( i think it uses sealant)

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
 Post Reply Post Reply