Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Indicators Flash fast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johncol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - Indicators Flash fast
    Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:43am
Hey all, I have a 2002 P12 and just had a towbar fitted. Since then when I engage the indicators the click really fast compared to previously. I assume this was casued somehow by the electrics of the towbar but is there any way I can resolve it. They still function buts its starting to annoy Confused
renrut View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renrut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 1:11pm
Did you fit the towbar yourself or did someone else do it? If someone else did it I'd take it straight back to them and get them to fix it, they've clearly annoyed the P12 electrics god. Is it using the pukka nissan wiring loom for the towbar or was it an aftermarket one made to fit?
johncol View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johncol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 1:22pm

It was fitted at a garage I have dealt with before for a gearbox change - I agree I will have to bring it back for them to have a look at. You would think its something thats reasonably straightforward as not to f... it up Confused

renrut View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renrut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 2:01pm
The P12 wiring is rather tetchy. The wiring for the tow bar needs to be going through a full relay box rather than just tapping into the existing lighting loom. The P12 also has very poor earthing especially around the rear light clusters and that might be the issue.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 6:26pm
Renrut is spot on, but just to add, the P12 electrics carry signals not just current, any type of re-wiring with out a Nissan designed harness can cause irreparable damage, anybody carrying out such work should proceed with extreme caution and know exactly what they are doing.
norbert eggcup View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norbert eggcup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by renrut renrut wrote:

The P12 wiring is rather tetchy. The wiring for the tow bar needs to be going through a full relay box rather than just tapping into the existing lighting loom. The P12 also has very poor earthing especially around the rear light clusters and that might be the issue.

errr no it doesn't Ermm i asked the very same question when i had mine fitted and the fella said not necessary and that the p12 lights werent that fussy when wiring towbar!
Baz007 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:33pm
Your all kind of right...
P12 electrics are really fussy but you CAN fit normal wiring kits to them, as long as they are soldered and earthed correctly there isn't usually a problem!
norbert eggcup View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norbert eggcup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 11:55pm
wel since the "piece of wire" fix all has been well on the eatrh front
 Post Reply Post Reply