Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - bumpy ride at low speeds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - bumpy ride at low speeds
    Posted: 25 May 2010 at 7:13pm
just got this car, and should have test driven it more, it just feels bumpy as hell @ low speeds around everyday roads, soon as you pick up speed or motorway it it seems fine,

just feels like it skips about a bit and the steering wheel feels every bump.

any ideas, its booked in at nissan on Thursday, but i would idealy love to find the fault and get it done cheaper. 

front right and rear left have brand new anti roll bar links, and the shocks look ok to be, i can't see and worn seals, but im no expert.

johner07 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johner07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 8:56pm
 hi mate welcome to npoc,chack your tyres mate as i had this for the last month, and just the other day the tyre blow and my tyres look ok but the inner was like it had ramps on then WinkWinkWinkWinkWink

renrut View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renrut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:21am
As above check tyre pressures and wheel alignment first as that could lead to it feeling twitchy and bumpy and if the tyre pressures are too high or low that would make it feel very bumpy.

Other things would be to check are shocks and all the rubber bushes but there are a lot of them. FWIW my p12 has always been a bit bumpy on normal roads, I've heard that the shocks and springs were adjusted on the facelift cars giving a smoother ride but I've not driven one back to back to make a comparison.
jimlad View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:27pm
cheers for the input guys, cant see any of the bushes, but i guess the wheels alignment and tracking could need doing, i have a mate who works at quick-fit so will call in and see him and see if he can do me a favour. As for trye pressures, does anyone know these off hand for a P12 2002 1.8? i don't have my service book yet as i left it at the sellers house!! (she's posting it for me) 
renrut View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renrut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:09pm
It should say on the b-pillar. Open the drivers door and it should be written on the bit between the 2 doors. Will be a little chart showing load and speed, and the appropriate front and rear pressures.
Steve P View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:54pm
Hi, You could have a tyre with a flat worn on it. That would be most noticable at low speeds. Jack each corner up and spin the wheel. you should be able to see if you have a flat spot.
Steve P
jimlad View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 6:38pm
yeah will check the tyres tonight and report back
renrut View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renrut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 8:36am
Other possibility if it is on the original type of tyres is the dunlops often became castellated and this would come across as a lumpy tyre. That would feel bumpy at low speeds and just uncomfortable at high speeds.
jimlad View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 11:48am
Nissan called me today they reckon a front trackrod ends need doing and the other anti roll bar link that the previous owner did not replace when she had the front left done, quoted me £150 and will do it today, bit pricey but if i take the car away i would have to pay £60 diagnostic fee anyway, so im not to fussed and hopefully it will be sorted.  They also gave the car a once over and reported nothing else needs doing apart from my rear discs and pads, but not vital or needs doing now.  so quite pleased really, as buying a car and not knowing the background this helps.  - hopefully this will be the knocking noise gone.  
renrut View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renrut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 1:50pm
Strange to only do one anti-roll bar link. I'd treat them as a pair but fair enough, sounds like that should be that sorted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>