Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 1.8 engine problem / oil loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.8 engine problem / oil loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgart666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 1.8 engine problem / oil loss
    Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:36pm
Hi i've got a primera 2004 p12 it's only done 60,000 and it's burning oil about a pint a day, i've changed the valve stem oil seals, head gaskit and still no luck i find it hard to believe that the ring's have gone, the car run's great just smokes when rev'ed.
someone told me in the rocker cover there are 2 skins with a mesh in one to stop oil going in to the inlet manifold through a breather.
ANY IDEAS PLEASE HELP
THANKS DAMO
dgart666 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgart666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 4:30pm

forgot to ask anybody changed rings on one and how hard, do you have to take head off or can you drop them down past crank.

thanks
Baz007 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 6:10pm
you can drop them down... You'll need to be very carefull honing the bores though
dgart666 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgart666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 1:57pm
thanks for the advise why? are they bit tight getting them out
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 8:03pm
You would have to have broken rings for that sort of oil consumption.  Has the car ever been over-revved massively by dropping into a much too low gear at speed?  Once is enough.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
dgart666 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgart666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 11:17pm
no not that i know put i'm going to take them out monday should there be anything obvious to look for accept for breaks.
p12engine View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p12engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 2:49pm
Hello dgart666,

How did you get on with your Primera?

I have exactly the same problem. P12, 1.8, 2004, smoking like a train but runs well.

I haven't investigated yet but I am expecting ring/bore wear when it's opened up.

I am very interested to hear how hard it was to change the rings, were the bores badly scored, did you need to change any pistons, was it successful in the end etc. etc?

If you let me know your phone number I would like to call you to ask your advice, it might be easier this way, rather than trying to type everything out.

Thanks
Brendan
dgart666 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgart666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 5:52pm
ye no worries my number is mob ............, fixed the problem is was the oil scraper rings at the bottom of the piston pretty straight forward if you a bit about cars, give me a ring if want to know more.
thanks
yogi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 5:56pm
Damien, Ive removed your mobile number from your above post as it's not always a good idea to advertise it on a public forum.

Just use your PM button if you want to give your number out it's the safest way Thumbs Up
Previous:P11-144 Qg18
Current: Nissan Juke Sport
dgart666 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgart666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2010 at 9:49pm
no worries if anyone wants my number for help with there p12 just pm me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>