Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Wires and Circuit Breaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goozer321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 Wires and Circuit Breaker
    Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 10:19am

Hi - 1998 Nissan Primera TD GX

Any help appreciated - I was fitting a new stereo when several electrical systems shut down at once (milometer, clock, stereo, clock, speedo, central locking, odometer). I checked all the fuses in the cabin and next to the engine - all ok. 

I pulled the middle fascia off, and found a ground wire (yellow) that was connected on the left side by a screw into the chassis, but the other end is unconnected. It terminates with an eyelet crimp, and definately looks as though it was connected at one time, so I think I have my problem; I knocked the cable and thereby tripped the circuit breaker.

However, I'm not sure where the cable should be connected - I think its the opposite side of the fascia cavity; there's a hole there, but there are lots of holes.

Any ideas?

Will the circuit breaker reset automatically?

Much appreciated.

Brendan
riggsy99 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
The real Elvis!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riggsy99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 11:02am
that yellow wire that is connected to the car may have been an earth wire for a previous stereo. if it's not connected to anything, take it out. if you touched it with a live wire from the stereo you were fitting it will have blown a fuse.

have you checked the fuse box beneath the steering wheel? you might have even toasted the accessory relay. this is located behind the fuse box beneath the steering wheel. the fuse box will need to be removed and turned round. it's one of the black relays.

hope this helps
goozer321 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goozer321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 11:28am
Thanks, Riggsy

Good point about the cable - thinking about it, if it was attached, the screw would have had to work its way loose, which is pretty implausible.

All fuses are good (cabin and engine compartments), as are the relays - the schematics I downloaded (thanks, NPOC) indicates that there aren't any relays for any of these electrical components - I'm pretty sure its a circuit breaker.

Do you know much about them?

Cheers
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 3:25pm
Always chase the easiest fault, which in your case is the new radio not working.  On the Haynes circuit the battery 12v goes direct through a 40A fusible link and the ignition switch followed by a 15A fuse to power the radio, and there's another 12v feed that's live all the time (so that the radio remembers stations etc.) that goes via an 80A fusible link and a 10A fuse but not the ignition switch.   there's no circuit breakers in the radio circuit. 

As the fusible links are shared in other circuits my bet would be on one of these, probably the 40A one, but I see for instance that the central locking is powered via the same 2 fusible links as the radio and the instrument cluster.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
goozer321 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goozer321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 3:40pm

Hey - just thought I'd update anybody watching.

It was indeed a fuse, although not the one it should have been. I ended up taking it to a Nissan garage, and he tested all the fuses with a meter (I thought I had checked them all. Talk about dopey) and found the "Cabin Lamp" 10 amp fuse, under the steering wheel blown. I asked how come, and he said its very common for the fuse labels to be wrong on Nissans.

So there you go - always check ALL the fuses.

maxjax View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxjax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 11:50am
I'm currently having this same problem...so frustrated atm Cry

Originally posted by goozer321 goozer321 wrote:

Hey - just thought I'd update anybody watching.

It was indeed a fuse, although not the one it should have been. I ended up taking it to a Nissan garage, and he tested all the fuses with a meter (I thought I had checked them all. Talk about dopey) and found the "Cabin Lamp" 10 amp fuse, under the steering wheel blown. I asked how come, and he said its very common for the fuse labels to be wrong on Nissans.

So there you go - always check ALL the fuses.

®maxjax™©
 Post Reply Post Reply