Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 1.8 Engine Start Problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 12:14am
Thanks for all your help guys.

Renrut has been giving me a few pointers in PM, will post these out soon for you guys.

AGrice - interesting about those sensors. Thing is, I'm not getting any lights on my dash telling me ECU has errors. I have reset it (negative was off for a bit, so not intentionally), but there were never any dash warning lights anyway. Did you have any indicators there were errors on dash, or were they known because of a diagnostic?

Thanks again all!

Regards,
Matt.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 12:48am
As earth straps have been mentioned (and apologies if anyone has posted these links already)..

Here's some additional info from here on earth straps and associated probs:

PS - I'm not saying it's earth related (I'm no tech etc).. Just throwing them in for anyone who may stumble across this thread in the futureThumbs Up

Good luck anyways Matt.

Take care,
Shaun
AGrice View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 4:50pm
Hi Matt,

Just to re-iterate - the garage could only diagnose the issue once the fault displayed on the dash.. I've had the issue of the car not starting, stalling for 3-4 years and not a single fault showing... Even though it's been into a nissan garage for diagnosis (It didn't start there and they couldn't find anything) the same with the AA.. It was my local backstreet garage that suggest the sensors but he quoted 300 for parts plus labour and vat and couldnt guarantee change of sensors would fix the issue...

The error finally displaying confirmed the local garages thoughts.... £180 all done..

MattC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 7:57pm
Hi guys,

Sorry to be replying so late, had a whole lot of other things that have taken up my time!!

Well, I managed to get a friend to hook it up to the OBD port, and read out any codes, and he came back with the P1612, and nothing else. NATS problem!!! I've had the equipment owner, my mechanical friend, and others tell me that it's the immobilizer / the coil around the ignition barrel stopping the immobilizer disarming itself. It seems intermittent, sometimes it will communicate the code alright, other times not. When it doesn't, it won't fire. When by chance the code communicated ok, it fires.

As for the engine hovering at 400rpm sometimes, and then cutting out, I think this is down to the fact I have disconnected the battery, and the car needs to re-learn it's throttle idle position. Maybe I am wrong?

I get the feeling that the Crank Shaft Pos. Sensors are not to blame, as the car runs ever so smooth, and I would expect lumpy driving and juddering. Anyone correct me if I am wrong please!!!

So mechanics have said the coil around the barrel is intermittently failing. Anyone know the cost of this part, is it easily available, and is it easily interchangeable without any ECU or IMMU reprogramming?

This is quite a brief post as I've gotta run for now, I haven't written all I wanted to. But thanks again everyone for help so far. I haven't ignored all your suggestions, I will definitely get to them!

Cheers!
Matt.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 6:35pm
Hi MattC,
Intermittent faults are always a buggerUnhappySo i am taking it at face value that P1612 is a nats fault and again the advice that it could the coil around the barrel, I can't really advise whether this IS the problem or not, only these same symptoms could be caused by the earth cable problems mentioned. So if you have definitely exhausted that avenue then the barrel could be next. Don't know how much or if it needs programming.

Having re-read this post it would seem you MAY have two ongoing problems the throttle learning is very easy to do and is explained in the ESM, cheap and easy see how you get on with that. If that does not work the SVC is still likely.

And just to make doubly sure did you clean the earth on the rear light cluster socket?
ciaranh View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ciaranh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 7:07pm
Hi Matt

I had a similer problem on my old car (daewoo matiz) worst ever car that died after 63,000!

but it could be your distributor needs replaced or maybe your coil pack needs replaced.

or even better give your distributor a clean and try a start up.

hope this help you.
MattC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:14pm
Hey guys thanks for your responses!

I will double check this earthing thing one last time. I have taken one of the rear light clusters out, and it was clean. I thought that corrosion or residue build up on these indicated problems with that? Just to point remind you guys, I am on a Petrol, not a Diesel. The SVC is electrical in this (This is what I was told by Renrut I believe, but may be wrong), whereas the SVC is a more common failure point in the Diesel as it's Mechanical. Sorry if I sound silly!

How to clean the distributor, a quick Google rendered nothing for me?

Thanks again,
Matt.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:37pm
If the connector is clean then that has eliminated that. No distributor so forget that. SVC yes that's diesel thing as far as i know but may be still a fuel problem, maybe one of the petrol heads on here can help.
MattC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 8:56pm
I'll double check them connectors on both headlights then timeshock!

I will do the relearn tomorrow. See how that goes down!

Thanks mate! And everyone else.
MattC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 2:21pm
I hope it doesn't look like post bumping...

I have managed to narrow it down even further now, if I can hear the fuel pump once I turn the key to ON, then it will definitely fire up (even if it cuts out again after). If I don't hear it, it definitely won't fire. Intermittent this is!

So it sounds like some error with the Fuel Pump somewhere? Perhaps a relay, or something. I have no idea though. Can I take the relay out, and put some wire across the female sockets' pins to help narrow the relay out of the problem?

Or maybe i've got it all wrong. Does the Fuel Pump not start until I turn to ignition?

Cheers,
Matt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>