Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - nissan primera p11 144 1.8 timing chain question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nissan primera p11 144 1.8 timing chain question?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHR230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nissan primera p11 144 1.8 timing chain question?
    Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:38pm
hi all would a stretched timing chain make a squeaking noise?? cause i get a squeaking noise on start up but gets quieter but still there once the car is warmed up , its is coming from around the auxilary belts, timing chain area. any advice would be a great help.
thanks david.
Janner View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Kerbalicious

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:55pm
No mate a chain makes a rattling noise, usually for a few seconds then quietens once the oil is nicely distributed around the engine and chain, the squeak could be from one of your belts, alternator possibly or the pulley bearing?

Hope some one else here can advise you!

Keith :)
NHR230 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHR230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 8:25pm

thanks for the advice keith been praying its not the chain :)

SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 6:57pm
Very lightly spray the belts with WD40 and if the noise totally disappears then you need new belts.  The WD40 will disappear after a day and the noise will return.   I wouldn't just change one, do the pair.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
whitegsd View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitegsd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 12:45pm
I have a similar problem on my P11 GTLE, however mine only squeaks on startup and then stops - both belts replaced with original Nissan ones about 400 miles ago.
Viktor.fi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktor.fi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:37pm
Check the tension on the belts..

The post about wd40 is a good way if IDing which belt it might be...

My ALT / AC belt was a little loose when I got the car, squealed (like a pig boy!) for first 2-3 secs at startup then squeal stopped.

You can see the two belts on the left of the engine (OK Im talking SR20DE) and also the tension adjusters. these are long threaded bolts, 1 at the front left of the cam cover. other rear left. 11mm heads I think.

with the engine OFF. use your finger to feel how much movement there is in the belts by pressing down between 2 pullys.
You will notice that 1 of the belts is looser than the other.
there SHOULD be movement in the belt.. about 5mm in total just easy with your fingers
give the adjuster bolt for that belt 1 full rotation (Clock wise tighty, auntie lucy).
go n start the engine.. that should have cured it,
if not.. give the other belt HALF a turn. try again.

the 2nd startup your belts might not make a noise, mine didnt, just first start of the morning.. so see what happens following morning.
Adjust now in half rotations or quarters so not to over tighten.

Vik
Exiled to Finland
Viktor.fi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktor.fi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:40pm
Whitegtd...

your belts when new will stretch.. they will require re-adjusting after a couple of weeks, as you have now discovered.

Vik
NHR230 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHR230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 12:15am
thanks for the advice guys will try a bit of wd40 
NHR230 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHR230 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 12:18am
if the squeak is the belt or belts would the nosie go go away when reving the car, when the car is revved or above 1,000rpm i cant hear the squeaking.
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2010 at 12:35am
yeah as the engine runs for a bit, the belt will get warmer and grip better and so not squeak as much, same as when ya rev it higher, as it will grip and turn quicker it won't squeak..
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>