Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan P12 2005 2.2 DCi - Desperate for help!!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan P12 2005 2.2 DCi - Desperate for help!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote renrut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 8:23am
Right first things first - SCV what is it?

The SCV is part of the fuel pump - it controls how much fuel is sent to the fuel rail and how much is recirculated. The fuel pump itself always pumps the same amount of fuel dependant on revs and nothing more. Its the SCV that determines how much goes to the fuel rail and thus the fuel rail pressure allowing the high efficiency and burn that makes the diesels powerful and efficient.

When this starts to malfunction it will be struggling to control the pressure. I don't know the exact failure mechanism but I suspect its not quite a simple seal. When they fail you might still get full fuel flow but it might be over pressuring at other points and freaking out the ECU. The ECU will then cut injectors etc to avoid damaging the engine and go into Limp mode.

Bear in mind the VERY HIGH pressures these things run at it is very very dangerous to tinker with them if you don't know what you're doing. To take it out you'll first need to bleed off the fuel rail pressure, then its simply a matter of unbolting it and bolting a new one on from what I can gather. Its not in the service manual as it wasn't regarded as a servicable part, only the whole fuel pump is which at north of £500 and another £400 fitting is a scary number.

I don't know of any pattern parts sources for the SCV and tbh you won't find any in breakers unless you're very very lucky as its probably the most common failure on the diesels, and even then it will likely not last as long as a new part. Ask nissan how much just the new part is. Their labour rates were typically £80ph inc VAT but I don't know if they're still that.

In terms of the fuel pump reset yes you'll need to get nissan to do this, it needs to be hooked up to the special nissan diagnostics gadget to do it. Unless you know someone with a Consult 2 of course.

Hope that answers your questions.
Now enjoying wafty effortless power.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 11:16am
Well done Renrut. Just to reiterate the fuel pressure it is typcal 65 Kpa which if my conversion is correct 650 bar. When I had a priming pump failure i was told the mechie had to go home as he was covered head to toe in diesel, engine bay was nice and clean thoughLOL
CJD View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 12:32pm

Well, thanks everybody for your help – PROBLEM NOW SOLVED

I went into Nissan and they plugged the computer in with no faults found! The mechanic told me that this narrows things down to the fuel as any faulty sensors would have registered and suggested two possibilities..

1. Suction Control Valve - £350ish to replace and would require a pump reset
  2. Full pump overhaul - £1200 to take the pump off and send it for re-furb.

Could not get my head around the pump being faulty as I get full pressure on the motorway, its only at tick over the problem.

So rang around and got a SCV from Darwen Diesels for £111+VAT, fitted it myself which was a very easy job once you’ve got the wipers off and JACKPOT, the tick over was rock solid straight away.

2 years of bouncy idle and finally solved!!

Thanks for all your help. I only have one more question..

Do I have to have the pump reset? It seems to be working so well now I can’t understand what paying £60 for the garage to reset the pump will do for me? Is it a fuel economy issue or something else.

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 4:30pm
surprised it has not gone in to limp mode as others have done, wait and see if you have problems, excessive smoke or poor mpg.
leo24 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 11:00pm
I have a similar problem...

I did get an issue an ECU warning for the fuel pump about 2 months ago after a yearly service on the 2005 primera dci.
I had the nissan dealer relearn the Fuel pump, after which no issues till yesterday, when the car cut off all of a sudden at a round about.
since then there has been no junction or roundabout where the car has not cut out
it runs fine on the motorway though

NPOC gurus on other threads seem to suggest that it might be a MAF gone bad
disconnected the MAF cable but still had the problem
not sure if just disconnecting the MAF was the right test

looking at cleaning the MAF now

but since i have had a fuel pump error before, started to suspect that this could be the SCV

would anyone be able to post how you go abt replacing SCV?

thanks
rsxxx69 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsxxx69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 9:19am
Hello all

I have Nissan Primera P12 2.2 dci sve end of 2003 reg
I have the same problem about power loss
I went to the garage the other day they charged me about £500
they changed Fuel pump, svc, changed oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter.
So problem NOT solved !!!!!
Problem was power loss:
When i start the engine, car seems to be ok and goes with no problem, few minutes after or when i stand near traffic lights, engine loose power!!!!
Garage checked all the sensor they could find and even MAF they checked, they tooked onother one maf from perfectly running car and puted that maf, do you know how many of those maf is there in that car?
Garage said me to go to nissan dealer and ask for diagnostics, to find all the problems it has
Also there is engine light on
Garage said I can still drive that car until it stops LOL
What to do?
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 10:58am
If you have not had this work done by Nissan, and it sounds that the garage you went to does not have the corect equipment, Nissan have to do a pump reset after the new one has been fitted. Try that an let us know how you get on.

Welcome to the forum by the wayThumbs Up
rsxxx69 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsxxx69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 12:05pm
Thank you for reply me, i will arange to go to
nissan to reset the pump, i will let
you know about results asap
Sufi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sufi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 5:34pm
Sounds exactly the same as my problem.
rsxxx69 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsxxx69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 7:00pm
But why do i need to reset the pump?
Because pump works same as old one
And i think there is nothing wrong with it
I think it's more electrical problem, like sensor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>