Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 144 Bonnet Release Cable Broken
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 144 Bonnet Release Cable Broken

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPCorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 144 Bonnet Release Cable Broken
    Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 5:52pm
I've seen the odd post relating to this that ends up in DM's for the sake of security, but I'll ask anyway and hope I get a reply any-which-way !!!!

Need to get the bonnet up ---- cable now does nothing other than extend much further than it ever did and NOT open the bonnet!!
I can see the release mechanism through the grill & can move it with a screwdriver, but the bonnet does not open :Cry
I can't see a way to remove the grill from the outside, and even if I could, would this help?

Also seen mentioned that with non-starting due to possible flooding, to remove the Fuel Pump Fuse (15A) .... this saved me this morning .... once it tries to start (i.e. the flooding has gone) shove it back in and Bob is the preverbial relative.

Many Thanks In Advance 
RPCorrigan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPCorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:48am
Nother damp morning so I'm hoping she'll start - but I do need to get under the bonnet (no screen wash for one!!!

Any Ideas Guys ???

Cheers
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPCorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 1:54pm
Well it started .... BUT ......

Now is URGENT as car has overheated on way back hoome this morning.
Nursed it off the M/Way, had lunch and nursed it home, but now HAVE to get under the bonnet.

PLEASE HELP.
Jim View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
NPOC S.H.A.T.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 2:03pm
It has been known for people to have to smash through the grill to get to the release mechanism behind - although I couldn't tell you how. Have you had someone pulling on the cable whilst the other pulls the bonnet up? - It works for me as my cable has stretched.

Only other option is to maybe try and get to the cale from behind the pull and get some molegrips on there.

Hope that is of some sort of help,

I hope you get it sorted ASAP,

All the best,

Jim

Janner View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Kerbalicious

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 2:57pm
the lcoking mech has most likely siezed up, this has happened to me twice, drown the catch in a load of wd40/silicone spray then used a flat screw driver in through the grille to work the catch back and forth till it opened, once the bonnet is open get some grease in there a again push the catch back and forth till youre happy that its freed up nicely!

Hope this helps!
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPCorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 12:49am
Managed to push the LHS Grille through and get to the mechanism.

The cable hadn't snapped, but rather popped out from it's "holder"

Thanks Jim & Janner for the tips.
daniel9807 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel9807 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 1:16am
on my p11 i have to wedge something( usually the key) in the bonet lever n then pull up the bonnet n it will open fine.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 1:21am
Originally posted by daniel9807 daniel9807 wrote:

on my p11 i have to wedge something( usually the key) in the bonet lever n then pull up the bonnet n it will open fine.

Take your mechanism completely off (remove cable and it's literally 3 bolts IIRC), then clean that dirty slapper with lots of degreaser, it will become more or less brand new again... Refit and lightly grease the spring and everything and trust me, it'll be like new.

Most probs people have with their bonnet mechs / catch is because everyone is keen to just keep spraying grease on it etc etc which will only compact the problem later down the road.

Removal, vigorous clean, refit and regrease, will take anyone no more than 30 mins of their time and is seriously worth it.

As we've seen in this thread.. The consequences of not being able to open your bonnet is a reet pain in the arse!
daniel9807 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daniel9807 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 12:09am
ok thanks go the advice i will give it ago soon. it a pain when having to open it. when it first went i was stood there for about 2 hours trying to open it.
 Post Reply Post Reply