Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 NATS problem - Urgent please!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 NATS problem - Urgent please!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by VillageMasteringUK VillageMasteringUK wrote:

Bit of a shame that this forum loves to tell itself it's so friendly and helpful but read this thread again ........ the title was 'please please help!' and what response did I get across the course of a whole day and night ??   

I got ticked off for forum rules and told off for dissing the car!

Absolutely no other chip in to say, try this or try that.   Yes I've used the search function but it's brought nothing up; supposed fob programming techniques that never worked and the old '15 min' trick that also only works randomly, and unreliably.

I'm sorry to hear of your car problems David (genuinely) but I'm not sure why you've chosen to strike out at this forum / club and also all members who own a P12 or the Staff Team that run the forums.

I'll give you the fact that it must have been a shitty day, I'm a family man as well etc.

But the forums helped you get your car started and get home, it took you bob on an hour to find the information "on here" and get going again. Yet you still think it's fair to have a go?

It didn't take "a whole day and night", it took just 1 hour and it would have been quicker if you'd have followed the information correctly.

I can understand you may be frustrated that no one here is giving you the fix for this problem, so you can put it to bed once and for all.. But you've highlighted the 1 problem that is always the big unknown on a Nissan Primera (all models included).. The wonder that is Nissans awesome NATS system!

For the many years I have owned and driven Nissan Primeras and run these forums... There is only subject that stops us all from being 100% able to say "this is it, the fix" and it's always NATS.

NATS = Pain in the arse and then let Nissan take you in the arse, whilst they try to make sense of it.

The thread title change was done to help you - Most members who read the General Section are doing so selectively. The P10 guys will read the P10 threads, the P11 guys the P11 threads and so on... When selectively reading thread titles, after changing yours to add the car reference, it strengthened the chances of the right crowd reading it.

It's been a bad day for you fella and you have my 100% sympathy but having a go at the club / staff / it's members and any member who owns a P12, that's not exactly fair.

Take care,
Shaun
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 11:47pm
Well said Shaun, I think also the thing to add is when things are desperate like that and you need quick answers you are going to have to strike it quite lucky to find anyone around on a Monday morning, most peeps are going to be at work. I would suspect the activity on this forum is quite low around about that time.

I well recall similar posts for help getting the most excellent response and beyond the call of duty, just the luck of the draw.

If I had been on here when this was posted I would have attempted to move heaven and earth to get the right answer. It would all have come unstuck though if the instructions had been carried out incorrectly and we started looking for a problem/solution that did not exist.

Hopefully the solution will not be difficult and you may feel a little better in a short time.

I shall have a look on here tomorrow, but NATS problems as Shaun says are not easy to nail.
Black box technology is there for your benefit but every now and again it will bite you on the arse.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 4:09pm
Right have done some searches on here and sure enough on the odd occasion where Nats has been a issue there appears to be a fairly simple cheap fix. Have a look here

The thread is long but this particular solution is towards the end. It could be a few things with the NATs but this is perhaps worth a punt. Try taking the relay out and warming it upThumbs Up
crazy taxi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by essNchill essNchill wrote:

Bit of a shame that this forum loves to tell itself it's so friendly and helpful but read this thread again ........ the title was 'please please help!' and what response did I get across the course of a whole day and night ??   

I got ticked off for forum rules and told off for dissing the car!

Absolutely no other chip in to say, try this or try that.   Yes I've used the search function but it's brought nothing up; supposed fob programming techniques that never worked and the old '15 min' trick that also only works randomly, and unreliably.

I'm sorry to hear of your car problems David (genuinely) but I'm not sure why you've chosen to strike out at this forum / club and also all members who own a P12 or the Staff Team that run the forums.

I'll give you the fact that it must have been a shitty day, I'm a family man as well etc.

But the forums helped you get your car started and get home, it took you bob on an hour to find the information "on here" and get going again. Yet you still think it's fair to have a go?

It didn't take "a whole day and night", it took just 1 hour and it would have been quicker if you'd have followed the information correctly.

I can understand you may be frustrated that no one here is giving you the fix for this problem, so you can put it to bed once and for all.. But you've highlighted the 1 problem that is always the big unknown on a Nissan Primera (all models included).. The wonder that is Nissans awesome NATS system!

For the many years I have owned and driven Nissan Primeras and run these forums... There is only subject that stops us all from being 100% able to say "this is it, the fix" and it's always NATS.

NATS = Pain in the arse and then let Nissan take you in the arse, whilst they try to make sense of it.

The thread title change was done to help you - Most members who read the General Section are doing so selectively. The P10 guys will read the P10 threads, the P11 guys the P11 threads and so on... When selectively reading thread titles, after changing yours to add the car reference, it strengthened the chances of the right crowd reading it.

It's been a bad day for you fella and you have my 100% sympathy but having a go at the club / staff / it's members and any member who owns a P12, that's not exactly fair.

Take care,
Shaun

Like i said, i was watching this and probably searching the same topics you were, so not much point in me posting about what you already knew to try............... i did have a suggestion up my sleeve, having had a 12 for a while myself, but while you were trying the 15 minute things there wasn't much much point posting it.
If you had looked you will have seen that in the "all day and night" hour you brought this to our attention, there were not that many members online, and probably the ones that did check in on this topic thought the same as me, you were finding things for yourself, the topic was getting views, one thing we tend not to do is post things we know fook all about.
As i said. glad you managed to get started and the family on the road, and i bet it was a very stressful drive home, worrying all the time if the car was going to stall.

Your negative comments on the club are a very unfair, you got the info needed, got your family home.
Even after this, there is still a member trawling though and trying to find topics to help you further, something that shows what this club and it's members are all about.

You can please some of the some of the time but not all of the people all of the timeWink
VillageMasteringUK View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VillageMasteringUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 6:21pm
Hello again all,

All points above are fair and reasonable.   I did apologise quite clearly further up the thread but will add a further, genuine sorry for some of my ill-thought out comments, earlier in the thread.

I appear to have fixed the issue today by;

- Cleaning out the rear offside light cluster,
- Fitting the 'simple earth fix' wire (much easier than I was expecting),
- Fitting 2 x new CR2025 batteries to my key fobs,
- Reprogramming the key fobs,
- Disconnecting the main car battery for 45 mins,
- Fully charging my main car battery,

Now clearly that's a lot of actions! So I'm not 100% clear on which have them has done the trick but I'm really chuffed that the problem's been fixed.   I've been starting the car constantly thorughout the day, with no more NATS issues.

Whne I was using the SEARCH function for help on the matter, I came across a post where someone had had the same problem, and a mechanic had said the issues was caused by a failing main car battery.   I must admit I thought to myself "how on Earth can it be that, when the rest of the electrics are working ok, and when the starter motor runs fine, once the NATS has disabled".... I thought it sounded like a fob off .......... however, having done all of the above, and spent most of the day on the car, I suspect that removing and fully charging my main car battery is probably what fixed the issue.

It does seem strange that a less than prime car battery could stop the NATS sensor on the barrel from picking up the chip in the key, yet still run the starter motor, but that does appear to have been the case.

Now, whether I'll now sell the car, or keep it "on trial" for a week, then perhaps eat my words and keep it longer remains to be seen!

I appreciate I'll be the 'bad guy' of this forum for a good while yet, but perhaps one day I can help someone on here in a sticky situation, with my new found exerience of P12 electrical / earth / NATS and battery issues.  LOL

Cheers,
David
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 6:33pm
Disconnecting the battery was up my sleeve lol, i was one of the early P12 members so you can imagine how much i banged my head against the wall, because i was racking up the miles through the job i was hitting problems with electrics before anyone knew they existed.
As time has gone on there are a good few on here now that have good knowledge on the 12's and answers are not usually too far away.
As for the bad guy bit................. i've been here a while.......... some like me some don't, dont careWink
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 6:55pm
Well you have been through all the simple things, wonder which on it was? Keep an eye on the battery, if that was the reason why does it not hold full charge and need supplemental charge? May be worth getting it checked out under load.
Janner View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Kerbalicious

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 7:29pm

Hello again all,

All points above are fair and reasonable.   I did apologise quite clearly further up the thread but will add a further, genuine sorry for some of my ill-thought out comments, earlier in the thread.

I appear to have fixed the issue today by;

- Cleaning out the rear offside light cluster,
- Fitting the 'simple earth fix' wire (much easier than I was expecting),
- Fitting 2 x new CR2025 batteries to my key fobs,
- Reprogramming the key fobs,
- Disconnecting the main car battery for 45 mins,
- Fully charging my main car battery,

Now clearly that's a lot of actions! So I'm not 100% clear on which have them has done the trick but I'm really chuffed that the problem's been fixed.   I've been starting the car constantly thorughout the day, with no more NATS issues.

Whne I was using the SEARCH function for help on the matter, I came across a post where someone had had the same problem, and a mechanic had said the issues was caused by a failing main car battery.   I must admit I thought to myself "how on Earth can it be that, when the rest of the electrics are working ok, and when the starter motor runs fine, once the NATS has disabled".... I thought it sounded like a fob off .......... however, having done all of the above, and spent most of the day on the car, I suspect that removing and fully charging my main car battery is probably what fixed the issue.

It does seem strange that a less than prime car battery could stop the NATS sensor on the barrel from picking up the chip in the key, yet still run the starter motor, but that does appear to have been the case.

Now, whether I'll now sell the car, or keep it "on trial" for a week, then perhaps eat my words and keep it longer remains to be seen!

I appreciate I'll be the 'bad guy' of this forum for a good while yet, but perhaps one day I can help someone on here in a sticky situation, with my new found exerience of P12 electrical / earth / NATS and battery issues.  LOL

Cheers,

Mate youre not a bad guy lol you were just stressed and fed up with a car you had spent a lot of money on it and it should be reliable ect, but these days too many new cars post 2000ad rely on and have too many over complicated electronics, so even when people are trying to help you, one is so focused on fixing the problem that you over look their attempts and efforts cos you just want the damn thing to work so you can get you and your family home.

Npoc is a wealth of information and great people but as has been mentioned we are like you with our own lives and are not always about regardless to the fact that i think this is the most used, populated and friendly car forum out there, dont give up on your 12 we are here for you as we are for each other! :)

Good luck Thumbs Up
VillageMasteringUK View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VillageMasteringUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 9:22pm
Cheers again fellas (and any ladies), especially ot Timeshock, proving the sterling reputation of us Geordies Thumbs Up

Few hours later, the temperatire has dropped a few degrees and the car is still starting first time, on the button, so all good.

The current battery looks quite old, I'd bet after a few winters like this one, it's just not holding optimum charge any more, so still suspect this was the culprit for the NATS woes.

I have a brand new, ununsed Halfords Calcium battery in the garage - it's exactly the right size BUT, the terminals are on the wrong size (it was bought for a Santa Fe but then not needed).

.....so tomorrow's project will be seeing of the battery can be fitted without the stressing the main pos and neg cables (they don't appear to have much play but we'll see).

If it doesn't fit I'll jsut pick up  new one - a new battery is rarely a wasted investment, especially in Winter.

Hey, they're great these Primera P12's aren't they?     LOL

Guns far too quick out o' the holster, that's always been my trouble.

Cheers,
David
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 9:31pm
I wouldnt go trying to fit the battery mate, it's not just the size that counts, ask my Mrs.
There are different ratings on ampage and everything
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>