Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi to all! please save me from the scrappy :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Swiss Tony

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norbert eggcup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 9:34pm
wont run right with vacuum pipe disconnected

plug end of pipe with a screw and see if car runs better
davep11gt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davep11gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 9:58pm
Check all pipes and hoses around the filter box and intake manifold. Make sure thier all connected up ok and have no cracks or splits.

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Have you considered having cylinder compression tested. Cheap and easy
K&N FOR THE WIN!!!

EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST SHITE!!!
DENNYBOY View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DENNYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 10:16pm
If after checking all hoses etc there is no change check the cat. I have had a couple on cars at work break up and block the exhaust, as when driven under load the gases force the cat inners to move and block the exhaust.
I'm no expert - An "Ex" is a has been and a "Spurt" is a drip under pressure!!
landorb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 9:50am
I have plugged up the vacuum pipe and checked all the pipes and hoses as suggested. sadly no change in performance, if anything there is a slight increase in instances of 'kangaroo petrol'.

So next onto either/both the cylinder compression and the cat?

is there a guide for checking the cat? what is involved? (i will be looking for this info myself too of course!)

to be honest it feels like the car is choked up somewhere, like it can't breathe.

would a clogged up/blocked exhaust cause these symptoms?

would it be worth removing the whole exhaust to see the difference?

cheers guys,

will
Jim View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
NPOC S.H.A.T.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 10:23am
Pop off the CAT and see how it runs, it'll be fecking loud, but you'll be able to tell if there is any difference straight off - costs nothing Thumbs Up

landorb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 6:04pm

cool jim,

by 'pop off' do you mean remove the CAT all together? sorry about my lack of experience but what does it look like, where is it located, and how is it removed? I am a total noob remember!Embarrassed

oh, to answer an earlier question - the fuel, oil and air filters were all recently replaced during a service (like 1 month ago)
crazy taxi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 6:40pm
It still could be MAF, just cos it's clean dont mean its working right, mine is spotless but we know it's crap
Old enough to know better, too old to change
DENNYBOY View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DENNYBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 6:58pm
Get under the car and give the cat a thump with your hand and see if it rattles, if it does its fooked, if it doesn't get someone to rev the car and put your hand by the exhaust tailpipe and see if anything is coming out.
It could still be the maf though and could suggest getting it checked before taking the cat off as rusty cat bolts are a real pain in the arse.
I'm no expert - An "Ex" is a has been and a "Spurt" is a drip under pressure!!
riggsy99 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
The real Elvis!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riggsy99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 8:59pm
could be the MAF. or even a blocked exhaust. might be worth getting someone with a consult machine to reset the self learn in the ECU now that you have cleaned it.

i'd also get the timing checked. i know i had a spot of bother with mine last year and found it was out slightly.

are the spark plug gaps ok?

hope this helps, and you get the prim running sweet soon

take care

riggsy
landorb View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 9:22am
thanks a lot guys, i'm taking on board every point made and will be moving through each one at a time.
i think the first thing i am going to do then is remove the cat as it appears this will at least rule it and the exhaust out.
i will post the results asap...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>