Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 diesel vacuum pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patjfcorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 diesel vacuum pump
    Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 9:25pm
hi there all

I am new to nissan cars and obviously new to this excellently supported forum. I recently purchase what i thought initially was agood value 2002 primera 2.2 diesel. after a week i noticed noise from top right hand side of engine, soon after on way home from work i lost my brakes, anyways it turned out to be vacuum pump. i had to purhcase a secondhand pump and a further kit. however when the mechanic put the pump in, jacked up the car, turned the front wheel, he noticed that wheel and subsequent engine came to a halt. now he has to further strip the engine. anyone any ideas ?
renrut View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renrut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 10:34am
Hi and welcome to NPOC!

Vacuum pump sits on the far end of the cam shaft which obviously could affect timing if something catastrophically failed but if you drove it after it must have been ok.

Think we might need a bigger explanation of the engine coming to a halt bit, i.e. what exactly happened.
Now enjoying wafty effortless power.
patjfcorrigan View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patjfcorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 12:52pm
many thanks for reply

the car was driving ok in  morning except for noise from pump. on way home brake pedal went hard and was of no use. no further noise or any warning lights were apparent. left it then at garage who confirmed vacuum pump had completely failed. and as he was checking out things with the changed pump without starting the car and using the front wheel with the car in 6th gear he noticed that on rotating the wheel, it then came to a stop. he suspects that the some chain may have skipped a cog and changed the timing, indicating as he think that perhaps timing chain & tensioner etc may have to be replaced. 
Baz007 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 10:20pm
I can tell you what happened... He's replaced the pump and the chain but he's made the chain too tight... The only way to get itperfect is to use the special tool, unless you know what your doing.
He's started the car and the timing has jumped a tooth or two. He'll need to remove the timing cover and adjust the timing, make sure he checks for damage to the knock pin too.
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patjfcorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 10:34am
thanks for all replies

car wasnt started at all, thats why i gather fron wheel was rotated, although when he removed the vacuum pump again and rotated wheel, it hit stop. probably as suggested that skipped cog!
Baz007 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 9:25pm
I can't understand how the timing would jump without it being started, unless somebody was rough when turning it over by hand...  Aslong as you get it fixed, thats the main thing.
Craig Mills View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 12:02pm
Hi,
I have got the same problem but just at the 1st stage.
My vacum pump went on me last night.
The slot in fans for the pump are worn, but the spindle that drives the pump turns freely.
I have spoken with a few people in the trade & they have never come across this problem, we just must be lucky!
Do you have some kind of guide to cost & how big a job it is & how long it takes?
Hope your sorted out now.
Cheers

NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patjfcorrigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 2:33pm
i ended up having to purchase a second hand pump (new are crazy money!) and a pump kit from nissan which included replacement chain, tensioner and cogs wheels. all in all cost €600. car going relatively ok since.
mercury View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 3:58pm
Mine went at 120k , cost £1400 to fix , it was the chain tensioner that had worn causing the chain to be to slack and damage all the cogs, new pump was £550+ at the time.
Craig Mills View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 7:05pm
I was very lucky the garage I bought the car from charged me £330.  Which included replacement chain, tensioner and cogs wheels, The pump was OK.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>