Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 - Engine warning, Dealer only??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Engine warning, Dealer only??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fezzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - Engine warning, Dealer only??
    Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:55pm
Hello everyone.
Nasty shock on the way home from work tonight. Out of the blue, up on the screen....

"***WARNING***

ENGINE

A malfunction may have occurred in the engine control system. Although there is a remote chance of immediate breakdown, avoid driving at high speed and go to a Nissan Dealer for the system to be checked as soon as possible."

No other clues / signs that anything is amiss.

Presumably my local, usual mechanic isn't necessarily going to know what the prob is & Nissan with their laptops are going to have to be who I go to? After I've raided the kids piggybank, looked down the back of the sofa for every bit of money I can find / taken out a 2nd mortgage that is?

Anyone had this happen before?

Cheers in advance  
Sluffer View Drop Down
NPOC Legend Elite
NPOC Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sluffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:15pm
I would say it would need to go to a mian dealer, so they can plug into their diagnostics system and find what the problem is.  I think they charge around £70 for the privelage.
It is much better to have loved and lost a sheep, than it is to have never loved one at all.
Fezzer View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fezzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:50pm
Thanks Sluffer. Yes, you're right. I knew that really....but...well kind of posted in hope of a different answer!
£70 isn't really more than I was expecting - I suppose it depends on what they find and the cost to put whatever that may be right!
Cheers
yarcyk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yarcyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 12:06am
I had this happeed to me few days ago, I  was tryging to reset but it didn't work. I was driving for two days and (engine was started many times) it disappeared. Don't know what the problem was but I am sure the fault code is saved and probably can be read straight from your car dashboard. Find instructions how to reset ECU on this forum, you can read fault codes from blinking engine lights at the end of the process.

champion View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote champion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 8:05am
I also have this problem. It happened to me when i topped the engine oil up in the car and it came up as soon as i started the car. I wouldnt worry about it too much as ive been driving with this problem for about a month. The first day the problem occured i drove from Coventry to London.

My friend who has a toyota also has the same problem, he topped his engine oil up and when he started his car the enngine light came up as well.
crazy taxi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 5:15pm
You two above sure you didn't overfill? this can trip the EML (possibly), once the oil has got back down to the correct level the light may well reset itself.

not heard of this on a P12 but a workmate has just had this on a Merc A class, dropped the oil and refilled correctly and cured.
Old enough to know better, too old to change
crazy taxi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 5:20pm
Having said that, back to the opening post, i had a 12 out on hire and this warning came up and the car went into limp mode, i was far from home and after restarting the engine there was no warning and the car was revving as per, went home, went to bed, thought nothing more about it.
Next day after a few short runs staying local, was picking the daughter up from school, turbo blew (2.2dCI). no warning on the screen, no limp mode but obviously loads of smoke and loss of power.

Guess the thought is in your case, get it checked as soon as you can, the warning is just that and needs investigating.

Old enough to know better, too old to change
 Post Reply Post Reply