Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

nissan primera P12 CAMSHAFT SENSOR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nissan primera P12 CAMSHAFT SENSOR
    Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 8:47pm
What is it's purpose, mine may be faulty, is it an urgent fix?
Nissan Primera S - 53plate 2-litre Estate
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:27pm
yup it would be an urgent fix, as it will cause your car to run crap, and if the fault gets worse not run at all...
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 9:45pm
Moved from New Members to section to here, the General Section.
norbert eggcup View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norbert eggcup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2011 at 11:23pm
check with dealers if your car had the recall carried out for the engine position sensors
foxhole View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:54pm
How does sensor cause engine to run poorly?
heathf View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heathf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 5:56pm

I had a simmilar problem with the Crankshaft Position Sensor in my P11-144. I had to fork out £107 for a pair of sensors but it did do the job.

The ECU requires both Cam & Crankshft sensors for the engine to run. If one of these fails there is no output to the Tacometer and the engine stalls.

The sensors, athough they look idential, are not interchangeable. You can swap them over for test purposes & get a signal out of them but the engine will not run.

Using a Laptop Soundcard Osciloscope application is  a very cheap way to diagnose sensor malfunctions where dynamic signals need to be monitored. In my case the sensor took 20 minutes of driving before it went dead. Once cooled it started working again.

The position of the Camshaft sensor is on the lefthand side of the engine near the top, it's easy to change.

The sensor signals will be active when the ignition is on & the engine is rotating. They should look like the folowing photos when viewed on an osciloscope (green = Camshaft sensor):

colmoneill View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoneill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 12:59pm
"Using a Laptop Soundcard Osciloscope application is  a very cheap way to diagnose sensor malfunction" this sounds very interesting, can you explain how to do this ? Tongue
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by heathf heathf wrote:

I had a simmilar problem with the Crankshaft Position Sensor in my P11-144. I had to fork out £107 for a pair of sensors but it did do the job.

The ECU requires both Cam & Crankshft sensors for the engine to run. If one of these fails there is no output to the Tacometer and the engine stalls.

£107 man you got ripped off, I got them for £26 and they are sold as a pair. Another quick test you can do which is easy enough. As both sensors are the same (same part number for both) (crank and cam) then swap the round. If its a faulty sensor then the fail code witll follow the sensore if that makes sense

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
foxhole View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxhole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 1:54pm
Do Nissan charge much to do stuff under a recall notice? Norbert mentioned one which might cover it?
When I purchased the car it had a service bill which states a problem with cam sensor.
Baz007 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 6:31pm
Recall work will be carried out free of charge...

Cam and Crank sensors are NOT the same!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>