Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 1.6 brake problems.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbettles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 1.6 brake problems.
    Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 11:32am
Morning guys, still having problems with my front brakes binding. I have taken the front calipers off and cleaned and regreased the guide pins. Also bled them. What is happening is the brakes are good as gold for a day or two then I'm almost at work/home and I start to hear a squeaking from the front brakes. When I stop one or other of the front brakes is red hot. If i come back 15mins later it's not binding. I'm suspecting the master cylinder as there are no ABS lights on. Does anyone know of a way of testing it?
thanks

crazy taxi View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy taxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 12:27pm
I'd still go for the caliper sticking, after a while of use the heat is building up, things expand, when you park up it cools down again
Old enough to know better, too old to change
sbettles View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbettles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:34pm

I did notice that it was very difficult to get the pads into the carrier. I wire brushed it a bit but still tight. Perhaps the pads are sticking and not the caliper? Might try some new brake pads.

Sluffer View Drop Down
NPOC Legend Elite
NPOC Legend Elite

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sluffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 4:02pm
Remove the metal sliders that the pads sit on, give them a good clean, and give the carrier a good clean where the the metal sliders sit. Apply a small smearing of copper grease to the ends of the pads that contact the metal sliders.
It is much better to have loved and lost a sheep, than it is to have never loved one at all.
PaddyM View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:09pm
Is it not pretty much set in stone that one your calipers start sticking you need new / refurbed ones?

I know mechanics that wouldn't even entertain trying to free them up. 
prim-n-proper View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Tick Tock Tick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prim-n-proper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by PaddyM PaddyM wrote:

Is it not pretty much set in stone that one your calipers start sticking you need new / refurbed ones?

I know mechanics that wouldn't even entertain trying to free them up. 

yep, more money to be made by replacing them Wink, I also know electricians that won't entertain fixing things, locksmiths that prefer to drill locks instead of picking them , and plasterers that prefer to pull out stud walls rather than fix the old ones .
COTM: MAY 2006 P11 GT
COTM: MAY 2009 P11 SLX+
COTM: AUG 2012 P11 WAGON
LAST EVER COTM: NOV 2013 P10 eGT

Your "other car" might be newer, but it don't make it better than a P chassis.*PNP17*

PaddyM View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 10:12pm
Fair point, however my rear left was rubbing when I got the pads done a while back. Mechanic freed it up and within a couple of weeks was rubbing again.

They generally don't want to free them, because they don't want you back in a couple of weeks complaining.
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 8:57am
Originally posted by Sluffer Sluffer wrote:

Remove the metal sliders that the pads sit on, give them a good clean, and give the carrier a good clean where the the metal sliders sit. Apply a small smearing of copper grease to the ends of the pads that contact the metal sliders.

I'll 2nd that fix.  It definitely caused a sticking front caliper on my P11, to the point where I could smell burning.  It's been fine for a year since cleaning/greasing up the ends of the pad and sprung sliders. 
1997 2.0 SLX P11
Welsh Mike View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welsh Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 10:46pm
I would love to know the outcome of this post. I have a very similar problem. My very good garage who stands to make no money on this thinks it is likely it is my master cylinder. (Long story,before I bought the car recently, new caliper, new brakes, previous garage had problems bleeding brakes). I have had and I am still having a devils own job getting a master cylinder which is the correct one and a sensible price. So what was the outcome please?
Always grateful for your help.
sbettles View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbettles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:05am
Mike,  I found that the brake pads were very stiff in the holder, to the point where I had to him them to go in. Took them out and filed the edges and wire brushed everything to death. Then they just slipped back in nicely and never had a problem since.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>