Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member
    Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 12:29pm
Hello, fellow Primera owners. I bought my first Primera, a 1999T P11 GX 2.0 automatic yesterday in Newark, Notts. After an enjoyable drive of 25 miles to Gainsborough, Lincs, the offside driveshaft snapped, about 4 inches inboard of the outer CV joint. I was doing less than 5mph at the time. I had owned the car for less than one hour. Is this a record? New driveshaft is on its way....just hoping that the automatic box is still in good health. Any comments will be welcome. I'm still pleased with the car as a replacement for my beloved Mercedes 190E, whose cam chain is, I presume, coiled up in a foetal position in the sump. Best wishes to all, DG.
davegarner
ernehale View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ernehale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 12:52pm
Hello and welcome to the club! Handshake The P11 is rather fond of eating driveshafts from what l read here.
You can get a free factory service manual courtesy of the club which should be of assistance to you. Just look in the FSM sub section at the head of the general section.

That Merc sounds proper poorly didn't know they ate their cam chains, was it rattling before it let go?
All the best
davegarner View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 1:09pm
Thankyou for that.  From what I've seen, the break reveals a bright metal snap of about 12mm in the centre of the shaft, which I estimate to be about 25mm diameter. I'm keeping the old shaft, and will post a pic or two of it here.
The Mercedes is sitting on my drive sulking. It gave me no warning that it intended to take its own life...the Green Flag guy was not surprised it had happened, but reckons that it's a 'safe' engine, i.e. the valves will not have been beaten up by the pistons. Car spot on otherwise! Best regards, DG. 
davegarner
doug View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 1:18pm
hi and welcome to NPOC don't let the driveshaft put you of 
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 1:32pm
Thankyou for your words of encouragement... thoroughly enjoyed my 25 mile drive before the incident..a quiet, comfortable journey, with everything working as it should. The car's done 113,000 miles, and I'm a 'glass half full' bloke, so am certainly not giving up on it.... again, many thanks for your post. Best regards, DG.
davegarner
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 5:47pm
New driveshaft coming from JR Trading of Birmingham...2 year warranty,,,anyone out there have any experience of them? DG.
davegarner
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 12:46am
Hi Dave and a big welcome to NPOCWave

Don't let the driveshaft put you off, we have a saying in here that you're not really a true Primera owner until you have snapped oneLOL Sadly it was a poor design trait by Nissan to stick a rubber counter balancing weight on the shaft, that allows a water trap underneath and this will corrode the shaft.

If it helps with the pain.. I have owned 3 Primeras since 1999 and have snapped a driveshaft in the first 2, my current Primera (Pink P11) is an auto like yours and so far no snappy, although I've most likely just jinxed that one LOL!

Anyways, enjoy the forums and take care,
Shaun
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegarner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 6:04am
Thankyou, Shaun, for your encouraging comments. Pretty in Pink, eh? Psychedelic Furze! Best regards, DG.
davegarner
roy.2 View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy.2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 6:46am
Hi Dave.Welcome to NPOC.   If you ever need help/spares/etc we are not too far from you. [8 mile east of Sleaford]
Roy
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 6:59am
Slap for Roy (only a gentle one however cos I Heart you)!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>