Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera 2.2 DCi 2004 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
colla View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera 2.2 DCi 2004 Owner
    Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 1:18pm
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I am hoping someone can help me with my car trouble.

I have owned a 2004 2.2. DCi primera since 2007.  It had a tendency to rev up and down slightly when idle.  Eventually the slight reving up/down became noticable when driving also, and then it eventually went through a phase of cutting out when I took the car out of gear and the foot of the accelarator.

In response to this I got the air filter, fuel filter and tank cleaned out (and a new battery).
A small amount of petrol was also added to the deisel to 'clean' the pipes so to speak.

Upon changing the battery (and above) the car seemed to reset itself and was going perfectly.

One day within a couple of months of above, I had the car running with the lights on to change a flat wheel on my wife's car at dark, and it just stopped.  Since then it refuses to start.

Car turns over but refuses to bit.
Attempts to prime the filter head whilst turning engine and disconnecting the return pipe and closing it with finger make her turns over better but she still fails to fire.

It would appear that there is no fuel or not enough fuel getting to the injectors to start the car.
I don't believe there is a problem with the fuel filter at this stage.  It would appear to be somwehere between the fuel filter and the injectors.  (It is almost as if the car was immobalisedAngry).

To a non-mechanic like myself this would point to the injector pump, but I am very nervous about going down this route if it is not necessary (as I have heard they are key coded and can be difficult to get the car keyed up to a replacement pump).

I'd appreciate it if anyone can suggest things to check first before going down this route.

e.g. are there any filters or gauzes or relay switches on this model that could give the same symptoms?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

ernehale View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ernehale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 5:20pm
The first part of your post indicates a failing Suction Control Valve (SCV) which is a valve fitted to the pump and gives all the indications your post refers to, hunting and erratic running. But l've not heard of one resurrecting itself  but then again the change of battery could have prompted a reset of the ecu and the scv could still be the suspect of your grief.

Are you getting any visual signs of fuel being expelled from the cylinders via the exhaust, white smoke that smells very strongly of diesel fuel and stings your eyes? Unburnt diesel leaving a cold cylinder emits from the exhaust as a white smoke/vapour.

Have a good look at the pipe and fittings from the fuel filter to the pump for a leak/sucking air. Also trace the pipework from the pump to the common rail and injectors for leaks.
Check all wiring also around the pump and common rail for disturbed connectors/broken wires. 

You cpould also get the ecu stored fault codes read, any stored codes will/should give you the faults recorded prior to its car park expiry.

Oh! And a big welcome to you! Handshake 
colla View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 5:52pm

Thanks Ernehale for your reply.

Funny enough on the day that the car 'packed-in' I did think I smelt an unusal fumy smell from the car.

Could a faulty SCV value prevent the car from starting up / firing?

Ta.

Post Reply Post Reply