Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 2.2 dci power loss Sorted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote 102cars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 2.2 dci power loss Sorted
    Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 8:35pm
Just a quick update to assist anyone with the same issue:
(please excuse any repetition-this will help others find the thread when searching net)
(please correct any errors to perfect this thread if you know better or have more accurate facts)

Our 2004 2.2 Primera P12 DCi S diesel (YD22 DDTI 138 bhp engine-not 125 bhp) wagon ran fine until a month ago when it started to rev erratically at idle when cold-after cold start- hunting between 400-800rpm.  After thirty seconds warming up, this disappeared and was not present when hot.

One week ago, we went to pull away at traffic lights and the turbo cut off into limp mode and we had significant lack of power/power loss/lack of acceleration, but after flicking key off and on quickly, the car reset itself and took off again.

This did not happen again for a while, but then started to occur more frequently, along with a worsening of the cold idle problem.  This week, the car has been going into limp mode after 20 seconds of idle every time, so I searched long and hard on here and other forum and sites for an answer.

From my research, it appears that this is a common fault on many 2003 and 2004 2.2 DCi powered Nissans (including X-trail, Almera Tino and Almera) and it also appears that many garages (including Nissan main dealers) completely mis-diagnose the fault and work their way through a variety of other expensive parts without fixing the problem; commonly replacing injectors, sensors and so on, without curing the problem.

The fault was quickly pin-pointed through net research as being a suction control valve fault, which is part of the fuel pump and is readily available from Nissan (cheaper than ebay) at £119+vat.  Apparently, this was not available as a separate OEM or pattern piece until fairly recently and quite a number of dealers do not know this (or want to charge full prices!) and simply send the entire fuel pump away for reconditioning at a cost of £600-800 inc labour, or charge £900-1500 to replace the entire pump.  In 10% of cases, it appears that a knackered or dirty fuel filter can cause problems, but less with idle than limp mode-I was advised to check this first, but mine was recently done.

After extending driving with the fault, and stamping on the gas when switching the ignition on and off while panicking when it cut the power on pulling out onto an fast A road, I finally managed to get the fault message/engine management light/ECU fault light to come on the dash and so I plugged in my OBD EOBD OBDII scanner into the white socket, just above the clutch pedal on the edge of the plastic trim the the bottom left of under the steering wheel and read the code as:
P0089 $12 Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 Performance

After clearing the code, I tried the throttle/accelerator fuel pump reset sequence to see if this cured it, but after completing the cycle, nothing had changed.

The Fix
Armed with this helpful info, I rang Hylton Nissan in Worcester and discussed it with them.  They said this is a very common problem with the 2.2 YD22 engine, so much so that the suction control valve was made available as a separate part from the pump, and was £119.36+vat, fitting time max one hour at £94.50+vat, including diagnostic test and fuel pump reset.  An initial change of £54.30+vat for a diagnostic investigation was recommended, in case this was not the fault, and the fuel filter was discussed.  After chatting through the symptoms and my research, and the fact this was a very common fault and in 90% of cases replacing the suction control valve sorted the problem, I opted out of the investigation cost and just booked the fitting of the SCV for the same day.

The part was in stock, I drove straight down to them and dropped it off went for quick lunch and it was ready to go just over an hour later.
After avoiding main dealers for years, the final bill was a reasonable £256.63 inc vat and the car was 100% sorted, with a full Nissan receipt for the file, it was done on time, same day-excellent work.

There are good reports on the net about Colchester Fuel Injections sorting this problem effectively, so if you are nearby, may be worth comparing their price against Nissan's.

The genuine Nissan part was listed as A6860AW42B VALVE ASSY-REGU £119.36 plus vat; this was cheaper than the Denso part at £249.99 inc vat on ebay!

I hope this gives all the info needed to sort this common fault, cheaply and painlessly-please do add if there are errors or thread links which will help further.

Cheers all Wink

2004 Primera 2.2dci S Wagon. Loves simple cars like 2CVs. Changes cars a lot, Primera is number 102...
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 10:22pm
Well done, pleased yo got it sortedThumbs Up
yarcyk View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yarcyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 9:30pm
Thanks for sharing this info. I think I have the same problem. It's not as expensive as I thought, probably not worth going somewhere else. And good to to know the part number.
johnnyt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:05pm
Brilliant info. I've got exactly (and I mean EXACTLY - I was nodding my head as I read your report) the same problem. I was told it would be at least £400 but I'll phone a Nissan dealer tomorrow and see what he can do.

Many thanks for your excellent post.

Cheers

John ;-)
johnnyt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:06pm
Sorry, just as an append to my previous post. I would just like to say that my problem was diagnosed by the excellent Timeshock. A real treasure on this forum.

;-)
johnnyt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:23pm
Sorry to keep adding posts but there doesn't appear to be an "edit" button...

The guy who told me it was going to be £400 said there were 2 SCV's?

Reading the post above it only mentions one ?

Is there only 1 valve or 2 ?

Mine is a P12 2.2DCi on a 54 plate (estate).

Many thanks

John ;-)
edk_N16 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Edwardo Del Dervo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edk_N16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:27pm
Post Options>Edit Thumbs Up

Just the one I believe. Supposed to be an easy job to replace, then do the ECU/Pump reset procedure.
johnnyt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:33pm
Thanks edk, much appreciated.

;-)
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by edk_N16 edk_N16 wrote:

Post Options>Edit Thumbs Up

that feature not enabled for non paying members Wink

FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
edk_N16 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Edwardo Del Dervo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edk_N16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 10:17pm
AH sorry my bad!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>