Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 ignition switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKPeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 ignition switch
    Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 11:46am
When I try to turn the key(s) in my Primera's ignition switch it is worn now it won't move, Car has done 171,000 but is running well otherwise. Can anyone help re where to get a new ignition switch and keys and approx cost.

Thanks
Peter
JoeBolt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 6:22pm
I was finding it very difficult to remove my key from the ignition switch.  I little squirt of WD40 into the switch was all it needed. 
NickC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 8:10pm
Might be obvious, but try wiggling the steering wheel a little - mine occasionally needs that (even though the steering lock hasn't latched) before I can get the key to move.
--

2000 Primera 2.0SE CVT(M6) Wagon
modsman View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 10:22pm
It's not the switch that's worn, it's the key.

Remove the tailgate lock, take it to a locksmith's and they will cut you a key to code and can transfer your immobiliser chip to the new blade. That key won't be worn and you should be back up and running. - Cost? Significantly less than a lock set and less work than changing the ignition barrel. Actually, if they have a Lishi NSN14 2 in 1 and are decent locksmiths they can use that to decode the lock in situ, but it usually costs a little more than to pull the wafers from the lock and decode them to get the key number.

Or Nissan can cut you a key blade for the car and program it to the vehicle. Either way works.

Worst case - if the lock itself was worn then the locksmith can strip it, fit new wafers and get the original key blade to work properly. Being a P11-144 it's an integrated key and fob, the blade detaches from the fob section and the immobiliser transponder is glued into the blade section. It's not hard to transfer, and since you are replacing the key due to wear it's not like you need to keep the old blade available as a spare.

Skymera
UKPeter View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKPeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 11:53pm
Thanks for info chaps. I actually have two keys.
Neither key turns on ignition now athough after about ten mins wiggling one key  did actually work, once "in" it works OK as long as i don't turn it to withdraw position. i have used lock lube as well.
Peter
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 11:59pm
It sounds like a worn ignition barrel to me, I had the same sorta problems on an old Primera.. Only fix for me was a new ignition barrel set (Nissan only) and at a whopping £200 all inOuch
modsman View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 12:39am
My friend Martin has a list of locksmiths all over the UK that can sort that for a lot less, new wafers in the lock barrel is all it needs and possibly a key cut to code, Should be a LOT less than 200 all in, What area and I'll see if he has someone local to you.
Skymera
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 1:01am
Just to add.. That was £200 all in fitted by a garage etc (many years back now).. Not just £200 for the parts.
UKPeter View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKPeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:02am
I live in Sittingbourne Kent ME9.

Peter
 Post Reply Post Reply