Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P12 won't start immobiliser issue?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 won't start immobiliser issue?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddocks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 won't start immobiliser issue?
    Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 3:11pm
Hello everyone, my P12 has let me down for the first time today.  Went out this morning in it and all was fine.  I got out to get some shopping and left the keys in the ignition and the kids in the car.  When I came back to it it would not start.  Engine turning over and occasionally it will run for a second before stopping again.  Called out the AA who came and had a look and he was pretty sure it was an immobiliser issue, however, he couldn't resolve the problem.  Tried another key to no avail.  Left ignition on for 5 secs and off for 5 secs and tried again with no joy.  The engine ran when an EZ start type spray was squirted down the air intake.  AA also says there is fuel pressure and the only thing he can think of is that the injectors are not firing which he believes to be down to an immobiliser issue.   Have towed it to a garage now as the battery is nearly flat.  I am now aware that the ignition should have been left in ACC for 15 mins and not on.  In your opinion does this sound like an immobiliser problem or is it a sign of something more sinister.  Thanks in advance for your help.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 4:16pm
Hi and welcome to the forumHandshake
Sorry to here the problem you are having.
It does not sound like an immobiliser issue to me. One of the first things to check are the earth straps from the battery that go to the chassis and the transmission. Make sure they have a good, clean solid contact and no breaks.

paddocks2 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddocks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 4:53pm
Ok, thanks for the reply.  I will give it a try in the morning (hangover permitting)
paddocks2 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddocks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 5:32pm
I don't know if this is relevant but I have just remembered that yesterday the front fog light indicator was coming on when I braked.  I checked all bulbs and did not find any faulty ones.  Does this give anyone any more clues or is it coincidental
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 7:22pm
My guess is your reg is pre 04 and you may have a problem with the earth to the rear light cluster. Have a look here. This can cause all sorts of weird problems

paddocks2 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddocks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 11:47am
I fitted the DIY rear lights earth fix but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the non starting issue.  First contact with garage is they suspect the Cam position sensor.  £75 + VAT.  This seems logical to me.  Can't get one in until tomorrow though.  I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the advice
brucey View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brucey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
AFAIK both Nissan petrol and diesel engines use management that 'throws a wobbly' when the camchain wears, giving some of the same symptoms as a failed cam sensor. Essentially the chain stretch causes the cam signal to be 'out of time' with the crank sensor and it gets to a certain point and then quits running or starting.
It is unlikely that this happened suddenly to you but it does show that the system does not always tolerate errors of this kind.

Starting is also problematic if the battery is a bit flat, and 15mins with the ignition on is enough if the battery is a bit old. Jump and bump starts can throw errors with the immobilser but sometimes these just go away if the doors are locked and unlocked again using the key fob.

One thing that may be worth trying is leaving the battery disconnected for a few hours and then trying again. This will reset the service indicator and may reset an unhappy ECU too. Got to be worth a go if you have not yet tried it.

Just been through all this myself owing to a failed battery over christmas, and a 'temporary' battery that wasn't up to it..

good luck

cheers

-----------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Butt View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 8:30pm

Hi

I have also 03 nissan primera p12. Same problem started with it since last week.

parvez
fossyant View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fossyant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 5:34pm
If it's an immobiliser issue, and the car won't even turn over, re-lock (even if you are in it) with the fob, then un-lock. Clears the immobiliser.

Happens some times on mine, jump in, won't go.  Lock the doors, wait a few seconds, unlock, and try again.
paddocks2 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddocks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:16pm
Unfortunately, replacing the cam position sensor has not resolved the problem and it now appears that it is a timing chain issue.  I have replaced the car and it  is now on ebay and has currently fetched the sum of £421.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>