Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 - Advice re breaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Banned
Banned

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 - Advice re breaking
    Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 9:22am
Hi - per my id I have a 1997 P11 or rather my girlfriend does.  Shortly after she bought it and we realised it was so good and reliable I bought a 1998 P11.  Hers has done about 110k miles and is looking a bit tired and the clutch is now getting very "soft".  I am anticipating that bills will start to crop up soon so want to give her my 1998 and break hers for parts all of which fit the 1998 model. 

I am looking for some advice if I may.  I am not good with tools but reckon I can get the radiator, battery, starter motor, alternator, ignition coils and leads off all fairly easily.   What else do you reckon I can easily remove and would have value?  I think I read about wheel bearings being a slight weakness so I could try and take off the entire hub assemblies.

Once I've reduced it to this point I don't know what I could do with what remains and whether I'd get any scrap value.  I guess the engine itself would be worth no more as an engine than as scrap.

If anyone fancies a weekend of banging and hammering sometime in the next couple of months - either in Plymouth or West Essex I'd be happy to keep them topped up with coffee and bacon sarnies.

In summary I think the var might be worth more as spares to me than trying to sell.  These things only fetch £300 or so with 110k miles per ebay I reckon.

Regards and thanks for your interest
Grim View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

r1pp3R

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:15am
It depends what model you have really. Ive broken several up over the years and to get anything back on this you will need to remove as much as you can. Also be patient because ive found myself with stacks of stuff i think will never go and the next thing you know everyone wants it. I would say the high demand parts are front hubs with abs,centre links assuming the bearings are good, rear calipers and sliders. As for rads,starters,alternators these will sell but ive found them to be low demand primeras are just to dam reliable ( P12 excluded)
Drive shafts were good sellers once but there so cheap to buy new now i find myself tripping over the stack of them i have!
The colour of your car can make a diference aswell. anyway good luck
Sorry I scraped all those primeras ☹️
steve6792 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve6792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:42am
Im breaking a p12 at moment what i do is put add on  ebay for eg rearlight then see what happens i dont take anything off til its sold but would expect to have the car at least 6 months.Scrap is reasoble high expect around £100 for the shell but you will need to take the wheels home or will get charged if you leave them.Also remove the cat is it will command a high price at the scrap yard if its original and intact
plymPRIM97 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:46am
Hi - thanks for that.  Was not really thinking about selling the parts but boxing and labelling them carefully and using them should we need them on the 1998 p11.  As similar as both cars are the 1998 having done 30k fewer miles is far "tighter" and the cklutch for example is perfect but the 1997 is close to have the clutch sstart slipping I reckon - it is almost as if you can change gear without using the pedal. 

Her car is "radio active" metallic light green and most panels have a ding but I guess the tailgate might be worth keeping and potentially the electric window motors. 

Does anyone know if you can get a shell collected - I guess I'd get nothing for it as the cost of collecting would have to be netted off?

Thanks all and specifically you, grim.

plymPRIM97 View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymPRIM97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 10:48am
Good point re the cat - the back box is only 10 months old too.  Luckily she has a lock up garage so I hope to label everything and leave it properly boxed and in racking should we need the parts.  When i get round to this I am happy to gift a few bits too.  Seems only fair for the advice.
steve6792 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve6792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 12:15pm
If the shell is still with wheels on you should have no problem getting it taken away and also getting some money with no wheels someone would collect but wouldnt think they would pay given extra hassle/equipment involved so would keep it rooling if i were you
 Post Reply Post Reply