Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11-144 misfire & loss of power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jericho7 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jericho7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11-144 misfire & loss of power
    Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:56pm
and this is how you can clean MAF - with a small brush (worked for an mechanic for 38 years):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX2Y44Np8VM

or here, this guy is cleaning MAF's with Alcohol and says it worked for the last 12 years :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjtY4lb6WP8

I'll try to re-clean it like that as there is still some dirt on my MAF that doesn't go off with just CRC spraying...

let's see  :) 
jericho7 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jericho7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 11:54am
ups, yes CRC MAF cleaner..

I've read that this is the only one good that should be used. I cleaned MAF 10.000 km before too and it worked good all the time.

I'll see now how it drives with cleaned MAF for the second time. I got feeling yesterday that it is doing some problems again, but there was no actually loss of power, maybe I just had some fears..

I also replaced the original manifold today and remove pre-cat, while installing sport header from OBX - for Nissan Sentra (QG18DE) and car drives different again, so I need to drive some more days if cleaning of the MAF was successful.

Anyone knows, if heat wrapping of the header / manifold is good as I see it's quite hot in the machine from the header when you stop driving. New header doesn't have an heat shield anymore now...

best

Neilski View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neilski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 9:40pm
Good to know.
I replaced my MAF with a second-hand one off Ebay years ago - still have the old one and have been meaning to try cleaning it sometime (cos I've got nothing to lose, despite the numerous warnings that the Bosch MAFs can't be cleaned...).
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 8:02pm
It's CRC not CNC.  It's found fame on YouTube if you search.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
Neilski View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neilski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 10:45am
Wow, you cleaned the MAF? Nice one!
I read in loads of places that the Bosch MAFs couldn't be successfully cleaned, and would just be wrecked by cleaning attempts.
The CNC MAF cleaner stuff is some sort of liquid I suppose?

jericho7 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jericho7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2012 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Neilski Neilski wrote:

Hi...
Hmm, yeah, never got around to posting an update. It was an unexpectedly traumatic repair. After the seals & gaskets were located, we finally got the car back a few days later than expected. Same day in fact that we were due to drive 250 miles to a ferry... On the way the car developed a large plume of smoke out the back which wasn't immediately obvious to me cos it was dark. But after seeing it and checking the oil, and refilling the oil, and driving 50 miles further and again refilling the oil (2.5 litres used in 95 miles :-/) I got the AA to take us back home. Left it with the garage and went on hol in another car (helpful friend). Garage found that a cheap seal had failed and didn't charge us any extra for it (they probably felt guilty, and to be honest they probably deserved to feel that way).
What with buying the chain (130ish IIRC from eBay) and the original quote for the garage work (~ 400) + the extra cost of seals (70-80 IIRC) the whole damn thing ended up at roughly £600 which was a bit horrific. But at least it's hanging on for now. A CV joint is suspect at the moment in fact, but at least that bill's not likely to cause a nose-bleed.

Not sure if your symptoms could be due to chain issues. If I were you I'd want to be pretty certain before getting it done, as it's too pricey to do it just on the off-chance. If you have access to test equipment you could do what I did (oscilloscope) and check the relative timing of crank and cam pulses. It doesn't happen in lower gears? That would be weird. I can't recall what P0420 means.

Has the MAF been tested?

Hey Neilski, ohhh, sorry to hear that, bad experiences you had there...

I just figured it out yesterday - concerning my car. I went to another Nissan garage where they were prepared to go to a test drive, while a mechanic told me immediately it is the MAF sensor 100%.

Before I went on ebay to order 100 EUR Bosch MAF sensor I went home and clean MAF with CNC MAF sensor cleaner + my Simota Air filter was pretty dirty from below with a lot of dust. I also cleaned that dust out and voila, Primera goes fast as a rocket again :))

My car got 111.000 km milage right now...

Now I will also remove my pre-cat and install sport manifold / header form OBX I just bought for same QG18DE machine for Nissan Sentra from US :). Hope the main cat will clean good enough for the MOT, otherwise I am screwed :))

but if I ain't try, will not know :))

wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by jericho7 jericho7 wrote:

Hey, was it heart failure of expense then as you didn't post anything new? :)

I was just reading at this post as I got some power loss on my Nissan Primera P11 144, QG18DE currently, but only when I drive on highway with 5th gear at around 3500 RPM - around 140 km/h.

power loss just happen at this RPM then it goes normally when I speed up?

I was at Nissan garage already and they run all kind of diagnostic test and all readings were ok. There is also no Engine light and they can't figure it out until I got an error code there.

I am not sure this is timing chain problem or could it be?

In the past months I got some P0420 errors and at Nissan they told me the pre-cat would need to be replaced in short future. I haven't done that yet and the Engine Light stops popping P0420 error code lately.

Could my loss of power cause the pre-cat as well?

Spark plugs are new, gas filter I don't think would cause loss of power only at 3500 RPM in 5th gear?

I also noticed that for Primera P11 QG18DE enigine, the timing chain could be probably same for Nissan Sentra 1.8L QG18DE Engine as in US ebay these kits are like 65 GBP with postage + tax - still half price.. Any idea on this?

any feedback appreciated!

Just to add my 0,02:
P0420 is indeed a warning that the cat is not working as it should. If the ceramic inside of the cat got damaged, it *could* mean that the exhaust is restricted, which in turn could give the problems you describe.
I'm not sure that this is it, maybe someone else knows other probable causes.

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
Neilski View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neilski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 12:57pm
Darn, forgot to ask (can't seem to edit my own post ?!) how much mileage is on your car.
Neilski View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neilski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 12:56pm
Hi...
Hmm, yeah, never got around to posting an update. It was an unexpectedly traumatic repair. After the seals & gaskets were located, we finally got the car back a few days later than expected. Same day in fact that we were due to drive 250 miles to a ferry... On the way the car developed a large plume of smoke out the back which wasn't immediately obvious to me cos it was dark. But after seeing it and checking the oil, and refilling the oil, and driving 50 miles further and again refilling the oil (2.5 litres used in 95 miles :-/) I got the AA to take us back home. Left it with the garage and went on hol in another car (helpful friend). Garage found that a cheap seal had failed and didn't charge us any extra for it (they probably felt guilty, and to be honest they probably deserved to feel that way).
What with buying the chain (130ish IIRC from eBay) and the original quote for the garage work (~ 400) + the extra cost of seals (70-80 IIRC) the whole damn thing ended up at roughly £600 which was a bit horrific. But at least it's hanging on for now. A CV joint is suspect at the moment in fact, but at least that bill's not likely to cause a nose-bleed.

Not sure if your symptoms could be due to chain issues. If I were you I'd want to be pretty certain before getting it done, as it's too pricey to do it just on the off-chance. If you have access to test equipment you could do what I did (oscilloscope) and check the relative timing of crank and cam pulses. It doesn't happen in lower gears? That would be weird. I can't recall what P0420 means.

Has the MAF been tested?
jericho7 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jericho7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2012 at 9:46am
Hey, was it heart failure of expense then as you didn't post anything new? :)

I was just reading at this post as I got some power loss on my Nissan Primera P11 144, QG18DE currently, but only when I drive on highway with 5th gear at around 3500 RPM - around 140 km/h.

power loss just happen at this RPM then it goes normally when I speed up?

I was at Nissan garage already and they run all kind of diagnostic test and all readings were ok. There is also no Engine light and they can't figure it out until I got an error code there.

I am not sure this is timing chain problem or could it be?

In the past months I got some P0420 errors and at Nissan they told me the pre-cat would need to be replaced in short future. I haven't done that yet and the Engine Light stops popping P0420 error code lately.

Could my loss of power cause the pre-cat as well?

Spark plugs are new, gas filter I don't think would cause loss of power only at 3500 RPM in 5th gear?

I also noticed that for Primera P11 QG18DE enigine, the timing chain could be probably same for Nissan Sentra 1.8L QG18DE Engine as in US ebay these kits are like 65 GBP with postage + tax - still half price.. Any idea on this?

any feedback appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>