Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nissan Primera P11 144 2 litre vs P11 GT reviews.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 144 2 litre vs P11 GT reviews.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stetec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 144 2 litre vs P11 GT reviews.
    Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:16am
Damn the short title bar!  Anyway, between me and the wife we have a 1999 GT and a 2001 SE, both SR20 engines.  So I thought I'd add my thoughts on comparisons between the 2 seeing as on paper at least they are both mechanically similar.  And they're both on around 90k miles.  Here goes:

I've never driven 2 cars that share the same name only a year ish apart in build dates that felt like they don't share ANY dna.

Nothing about them feels even close to the other.  Nada.  Zip.

Even the starter motors don't sound the same.  The engines sound and respond differently.  The gearboxes feel different.  The weighting of the accelerator and clutch pedals feel different.

In the GT, you seem to sit higher in the drivers seat.  The suspension feels firmer.  The ride is harsher.  It's certainly a less refined drive.  The throttle pedal light.  The clutch heavy.  The brakes not as assisted or powerful, although they stop you well when needed.  I will be upgrading the pads and fluid asap.  The engine feels much more responsive and less lazy. although there isn't much in it in terms of absolute speed.  I think the K&N Apollo and decat have helped with the responses.  It's tremendous fun though in an old school warm/hot hatch kind of way.  It's the one I pick the keys up for when I'm in the mood for some fun.  It's around 4 mpg better than the 144 too.

Jumping into the 144 SE after the GT feels like a machine from a different manufacturer.  It's like a warm, comfy old slipper.  It's refined, quiet, the controls and pedals are light.  The seats are more comfortable and you sit lower down.  
On the road it feels a completely different machine.  More grown up, but it can shift when you want it to.  It's not wallowy, but it doesn't respond as quickly as the GT and is much mre relaxing to drive as a result.  You would never tell it had effectively the same engine.  

So which one do I prefer?  Depends on my mood.  Day to day, the SE is a great family barge, always starts first turn of the key, goes where I point it and has enough oomph to pull us as a family around the british isles in comfort.  The GT, at least when I fix a few wear and tear issues is like being hard wired into the car.  Great fun.

I'm considering replacing one of them, but can't decide which.  The SE 144 is the better all round bet so the GT might have to go.  But I'll miss it.  The wife wants a Daihatsu Copen.  Great for her, she's tiny, I'm 6'2" and 17 stone ish.  So...maybe I should keep the GT and she can have her Copen.  Or since I need to keep an element of practicality what other options do I have?  An Accord Type R maybe?  I love Honda's having had more than my fair share and love the H22 engine.  But is that car significantly better than the GT or the same thing with a bit more power?  The one thing that bothers me about both primeras is their relative lack of power.  In isolation they aren't bad.  But they both feel a bit flat at the top of the rev range.  Any suggestions appreciated, preferably from folk who've driven other fun, family cars.

Thanks guys and girls, look forward to your comments :-)
CraigC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:39am
I am biased.  My GT makes me smile when I drive it.  A car is more to me than just transport, it has to be fun and look cool, so for me it is keep the GT.  I can't find anything to beat it, pound for pound.  Thumbs Up
stetec View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stetec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:44am
I tend to agree with you Craig.  I'd have to spend a couple of grand on top to get anything else worthwhile.  Not money well spent I think.  Think I'll finish what I intended with the GT which is replace any failing parts with uprated where possible, uprate the brakes, clutch and suspension, add my loud backbox and then see how I feel.
sprint View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sprint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:54am
accord type R is an awesome car, very quick and really well planted as standard, by far the better car tbh, but they do seem to cost a lot more to run than a primera so its swings and roundabouts.

my mate had a type R and forever seemed to be paying what id consider large sums of money for some general service items (clutch, cambelt etc) but also seemed to be replacing a lot of bushes which didnt seem cheap, but then i suppose some of that was him being completely OCD and always listening out for minor faults.

in putting the VE in mine i tried to build nissans accord type R, on paper its probably pretty similar, and on track they are pretty similar too, but as standard the accord is imo by far the more competent and capable car its just down to picking the right one and looking after it, much the same as picking a primera really.
1991 H eZX - standard minter
1992 J eGT - sr20ve
1992 J eZX 4x4 Turbo
stetec View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stetec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:56am
Thanks mate, appreciate the response.  VE hmmm... now that might tip the balance.  Whats required for that conversion and any idea how much £££ we're talking to buy the engine etc?  Cheers :-)
UKPeter View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote UKPeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 12:08pm
I have recently retired and have had my 2001 1769cc SE from 2006 for which I paid £3400. My last job was as an insurance collector covering North Kent and SE London which invoved all sorts of driving including miles of speed bumps every day. The car had done 40k when I purchased it and now has nearly 180k on clock. It still has everthing original apart from wipers, rear discs, brake pads, one caliper and a front suspension upper joint. As you say, its very reliable/comfortable so why change it?  I get 34 mpg average. Around the same time my friend's bought a new Alpha Romeo for £20,000, spent at least £6000 on repairs and servicing and just received £1000 part exchange against a £13,000 Astra. When my Prim gives up then I will change but it does not owe me anything. The trouble is I'm not too keen on the Note or Juke and the Micra is a bit small. I had a 1993 1.6 Primera Invitation saloon previously and that was a good car as well. So consider whether to wear your "sensible hat" or not when you make your decision!
Regards
Peter
stetec View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stetec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:33pm
Thanks for the advice Peter.  I'd agree that if reliability alone was the only criteria then there are few more reliable than the primera.  However, i'd like just a little more performance so may consider keeping the GT if I can get more info on the VE upgrade.
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:41pm
unless you get lucky, 99% of the time you will need to import a VE engine, for which you will be looking at around £800-£1200 just for the engine etc

fitting all depends on how much you can do yourself to save on cost, there will also be a cost to get a suitable ecu upgrade and remap to run the engine right, standard ecu can be upgraded, but won't run VE properly on its own...this can be from around £400+
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
CraigC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:51pm
The SR20VE was 187 bhp and the 20V was 204bhp right ?
ragt20 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Swiss Tony

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragt20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by CraigC CraigC wrote:

The SR20VE was 187 bhp and the 20V was 204bhp right ?

yup
FAO : Laurens, I am not Shaun.
FAO : bavs83, I am not Tan.
VZR-CHECK, VZR-N1-CHECK, P11 VE-CHECK, P12 20V-CHECK, XTRAIL VET-CHECK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>