Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner of 2004 Nissan Primera SE TD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillypodsparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:13am
Hiya guys & thanks for the advice, I'm not sure that even If I purchased a multi tester I would know what to do or how to test for voltage/continuity. My knowledge of cars has always been simple ie; oil,water & changing a fuse, beyond that is over my head I'm afraid. It has been suggested maybe to have the car re-programmed by Nissan, another suggestion was to attache 1 of those flexible earth'ground straps. I'm starting to get confused with it all (being 63 don't help) Some friends have had Nissans for the past 20 yrs & have never had any probs like I'm having. But I will not give up on the Primera. Thanks anyhow & kind regards to you all.Owen
Crash Override View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crash Override Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:45am
With enough determination and solder, anything can be connected to anything.
lillypodsparrot View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillypodsparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:11am
Thanks 'Crash Override' for the above link, I had checked this out in the 'How to do' previously & think it's something I can handle,worth doing anyhow except I'm unclear as to how the cable to the bulb section is attached,any further info would be appreciated before I tackle the job. In anticipation 'Thanks. Regards to all. Owen
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillypodsparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:37am
The part where I'm getting confused is: 'Bare about 2" of the other end of wire & wrap around earth track (this is the one that goes to all bulbs)' I have already prepared both wires ready for this fix so hopefully someone can enlighten me a little further. Thanks. Owen
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:48pm
There is one metal part that all bulbs share as "earth track". Have a good look at it, where the bulbs touch the metal.
You're supposed to wrap the 2 inch bare wire around that track.

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillypodsparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:00pm

Thanks wickydude, I'm guessing now that it's not a fixed wrap round ie: soldered or clamped onto the silver metal part just wrapped tightly around, my car is the estate, lighting cluster is different but the same priciple will apply no doubt. I have sent email to admin requesting payment procedure for joining & created a google acc, just waiting Thanks once more wickydude .Regards.Owen

wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:33pm
You're welcome. Hope you get it fixed.
BTW, soldering is not forbidden But if the wrapped wire is in good contact, I believe that is enough.

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillypodsparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:55pm
I hope I get it fixed, I don't believe soldering is an option because the metal track although steel is zinc plated and may prove difficult to get a good solder contact. I do have some small sink earth clamps which may prove useful & they can be crimped at the bare wire end. After doing all the above fix & assuming it hasn't resolved my problem I guess going  to Nissan dealers is my only option. I don't understand car electrics or wiring diagrams ( giving me a headache just thinking about it LOL) and with the inherent electric problems associated with the Primera I'm somewhat apprehensive about tackling something I know little about. My 1st Nissan & I've got to say even though I have had 1 or 2 problems with the car it is for me a dream to drive & in hindsight I should have changed to Nissan many yrs ago. Cheers again wickydude. Owen  
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillypodsparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:29pm
Just discovered that the rear/tailgate door can be opened from the switch on the front drivers door, as it didn't have a symbol on the switch I never thought to press it, but heyho I can now get into the back/tailgate door without having to clamber over rear passenger seats. I still have the loud audible noise though which is very irritating. Tomorrow I'm hoping to do the grounding fix on the rear light clusters which I removed/checked today to make sure I can do it & the instructions/photographs are bang on. Thanks. regards.Owen
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lillypodsparrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 12:47pm
Have now attached the extra grounding on both rear light clusters and still loud audible noise and rear/tailgate door still won't open/close with the key fob...... has anybody got any further ideas? I'm at a loss to think what else it maybe. Regards all. Owen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>