Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 electric problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 electric problem
    Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 8:36am
iv got a 02 plate primera 2.2 sve.battery warning light always on iv changed battery alternator and 120a fuse that had blown but light still on can anybody help.
Kensai86 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kensai86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:18am
check wiring from alternator. is it bright or dim?

DUFC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 10:11am
it is bright.going to check fuses,could it b the I.C. regulator but dont no where or what it looks like?
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:09pm
The regulator is inside the alternator on all the cars I've looked at in the last 20 yrs so I guess the P12 is the same.

Has anyone changed the bulb?  The wrong wattage bulb might throw the regulator off beam as the bulb is part of the feedback circuit to the regulator, reducing charge and the light then stays on, but I think you would still see the brightness dim a bit with the engine running. 

If it's bright and doesn't change then the obvious fault is that the new alternator has no output. 

As for wiring, it's difficult to see what could be broken as if the bulb weren't connected it wouldn't light up so that accounts for the thinnest wire to the alternator.  The 2 fattest wires should have 0v and 12v on them from the battery via fuses.  I just thought of one fault that may cause your problem though and that's a short circuit from the thin wire at the alternator to chassis, you would have to disconnect the battery to test for that on a DVM on the lowest resistance range.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:11pm
Correction:- there may only be one fat wire, the other 0v connection can be the alternator case itself.
1997 2.0 SLX P11
DUFC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:35pm
had a meter on battery its fully charged,when car running its over charging.
SteveB View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 4:24pm
You would quite likely get overcharging with a short to chassis on the thin wire as the regulator will think your battery is flat and try to compensate with a high charge rate.  It needs checking. 
1997 2.0 SLX P11
DUFC View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:24pm
many thanks 2 steveb and kensai86.some one checking it for me later will let you no.
modsman View Drop Down
NPOC Elite Member
NPOC Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 6:24pm
Define overcharging though - 14.8V is normal, anything above would indicate varying degrees of overcharge.
Skymera
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 9:35pm
Hi there and a big welcome to NPOCWave

I have edited your thread title and made sure it starts with "Nissan Primera P12..." - Please keep on top of that (it is explained in our forum rules):

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>