Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 Speedometer Stopped Working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
luxifer View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luxifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 Speedometer Stopped Working
    Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:57am
I didn't mean to start a fist fight over this - just wanted to point out that the meter may got stuck at the 120kph mark and that there may be a self diagnosis function very similar to my car...

but nevertheless: interesting :)

well, according to wikipedia: the model line-up changed between the p11 and the p11-120... motor-wise the 1.6 GA16DE went from 90HP to 100HP, there was only one SR20De model left (the one with 130HP) and the SR20DE model was rebranded as "Top Sport" instead of "GT"... also the other model variants got rebranded

also wikipedia says that the standard security features were improved, for instance: the SR20De model now got the bigger front brake discs only the SR20DE model hat before... also they all got an EBD and side airbags by default along with some comfort features... optical changes are minimal... wp has one example: yellow rear turn signals instead of white ones... also with the P11-120 came the traveler model based upon this platform

so it seems to me that the 120 isn't as much of a facelift like the 144, true... but nevertheless you can differentiate between the 120 and the original P11 for the standard equipment that went into these...

as for differences to the JDM version I couldn't find out much with a short google apart from differences in looks of the body, headlights and such cosmetic stuff...
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:22am
We've had it come up before and I was being cheeky.. The only people who insist on calling it this and then try to convince us it is different from a P11.. Are the Germans.

It was all started by whichever German guy wrote the wikipedia page (German) and hence the urban myth LOL.

From that page:

"The first facelift of the P11 was already in September 1997 and the Primera is known internally as then P11-120. It made ​​a number of technical and visual changes and revised versions of the equipment. The 1.6L and 2.0L engines got a performance increase and the safety equipment was improved."

Perhaps someone can explain what the "number" of visual changes were for starters and then explain the performance increases in the engine.. Cos it's a crock! The engine performance in a P11 and then the mystical P11-120 are no different.

They did get the STW edition (Mystic) and we acknowledge that oneBig smile

Oh and you might want to do some research on JDM Nissan Primeras, what they did and didn't get and the release dates for them too.
luxifer View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luxifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 5:04am
no... the P11-120 is the Primera P11 series between 97 and 99... then it got a facelift which is the P11-144, built from 99 through 2002, so yours *should* be a P11-144... The instrument panel didn't change much though so you may be lucky to be able to engage its self diagnosis by the same means!

I'm actually quite surprised that this is not known here - especially here :-D
Janner View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest
Kerbalicious

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:55am
think he means the speed 120 kmph ?
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 11:32pm
What exactly is a P11-120? You have a P11 from your photosConfused
luxifer View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luxifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 11:18pm
check if it got stuck maybe... I don't know how it's with your exact model but for the p11-120 there's a self-test of the instrument panel...

in the case of the p11-120 (in my case) it's as follows: turn key to OFF position... push and HOLD both buttons on the instrument panel... turn key to ON... release buttons... the gauges (except temp) should go all the way through their range smoothly... also when pressing one of the two buttons you'll get an error code if there is any...

don't know if this is still true for your model (should be the p11-144??) but it's worth giving a try :)
Kensai86 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensai86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:36pm
There is a sensor on top of the gearbox. check the wiring from it. sometimes the cv joint gaitor can split anf cover everything in grease
need4speed View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote need4speed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 7:33am
Hey everyone. I'm from Trinidad, in the Caribbean and I have a Year 2000 model ,Automatic JDM P11 with a QG18DE engine.Wink 
The other day, i was driving and I noticed that the speedometer became stuck at 120km/hr. Cry
I never had a problem like this before and I was wondering how the car registers speed with this particular Nissan {car brought to Trinidad from Japan in 2005}  
I was told that there is a sensor located on the transmission that works in tandem with the instrument panel. Geek
I have yet to contact the local Nissan dealer here to get some more information on this minor problem. However, can anyone shed some light on this issue?????Thumbs Up 
Also, the next day, the speedometer started working again;but it is not going above 120km/hr,even though the car is!!!!Wacko [I'm sure about that....lol]
So,now the speedometer is not reflecting the true speed of the car and I'm questioning the Odometer reading as well.Thumbs Down
Is this a quick fix??????

Thanks!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply