Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 'misfire' at lowish revs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 'misfire' at lowish revs?
    Posted: 26 May 2012 at 2:55pm
Hello all,
Wonder if any of you can help me out with this one? Its doing my head in!
My 03 plate P12 has developed a fault in the last couple of weeks. From cold, it feels like a misfire when gently accelerating up to about 3000 revs but above that it feels fine.  After about 6 or 7 miles the problem goes away (mostly!). Sometimes it gives a good splutter when initially accelerating after deceleration i.e. driving up to rounder-bouts. Tick-over seems a bit low and erratic as well-during warm up it is fine but when warm it can vary from 800  to 0 (sometimes when dipping the clutch the engine revs drop quickly and it stalls)
I did fiddle with the plug/socket to the MAF unit and the misfire problem disappeared for a few days but has now come back with a vengeance! but I dont know if this is just a coincidence. 
The car has only done 46k and has a full service history.
I would really appreciate any help with this.
Thanks.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2012 at 7:56pm
Hi, and welcome to the forumHandshake
Petrol, diesel, size of engine?
eaty View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 11:38am
Hello,
Sorry, forgot to mention that! 2.0 SE petrol. 
mcgangsta View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcgangsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 3:31pm
Sounds like my old P12 (03). P12 includes 4 ignition coils, which can cause this kind of action.

I believe these parts are not part of the maintenance plan, so they are changed when needed.

In my case, I had also the engine warning light flashing. Sometimes the problem went away, but was permanently fixed after we changed one of the four ignition coils.
eaty View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 4:47pm
Thanks for the reply-I shall put it on the list of things to get checked out!
I did have a bit of success yesterdayThumbs Up  I checked the MAF unit and it was clean but I did notice that the plug seemed a bit loose and on pulling it out of the unit it was grubby as hell! A quick clean and a tweak of the connection pins and the car seems to be running better than it has done for a year or so (hopefully it will stay that way)
Going to fit some new earths to the back light clusters tonight as they have been giving me grief as well. 
Thanks again.
deano501 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deano501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 5:53pm
hi how did you know which one to change on the coil packs.. thanks in advance
redshark1 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redshark1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 8:15pm
I think the running problems and the rear lights problem could well be related.

P12 earth fault rear light cluster (usually rhs): Poor earth to the rear light is a known fault
http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/p12-rear-light-removal-now-with-simple-earth-fix_topic16533.html

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/nissan-primera-p12-electrics_topic68275_page2.html

When a coil needs replacing I think the error code identifies which cylinder (counted from the left hand side where the belts are) is affected.
See my Nissan Primera P11-144 common faults and fixes guide:
 Post Reply Post Reply