Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P11 144 electrical/AC issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P11 144 electrical/AC issues
    Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:24pm
Hi,

A few things I need to ideally sort out on my primera...

1) The back light between the fan speed / AC doesnt work. I am assuming there is a lamp behind it to replace?

2) The back light on the digital milometer/odometer/time display also does not light up.

3) Rear nearside foglight is inoperative. I have removed the cover and the lamp, and holder appear to be fine. I have even swapped the lamps over left to right and the lamp works in the other side, so it is not a faulty lamp.

I am assuming with the fog light, that there may be a bad earth somewhere? Possibly where it connects into the rear light cluster, yes?

4) Maybe it is my imagination, but the dashboard lighting appears to be quite dim? I doubt it, but is there a slider switch to make it brighter or something to press on the dashboard to adjust it?

5) The last one, is possibly going to be outside of my own repair capability...

The A/C comes on but doesnt get cold. It shows AC on the display but the air does not get any colder.

I thought it did work when I collected the car, I had the front radiator metal support replaced as it was an advisory when it had its MOT in march. Maybe something got disconnected then?  Are there any connectors that I could have a look at and check to see if they have come apart or not put back again?

Thank you all Smile

Renegade1127 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Renegade1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 2:31pm
For the lighting, check all wiring / connectors / fuses / relays.

For the A/C, your Prim is at least 10 years old and probably needs re-gassing, so get down to your local Halfords.  They do a free A/C check.
keith h View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote keith h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Sonic2 Sonic2 wrote:

Hi,

A few things I need to ideally sort out on my primera...

1) The back light between the fan speed / AC doesnt work. I am assuming there is a lamp behind it to replace?

2) The back light on the digital milometer/odometer/time display also does not light up.

3) Rear nearside foglight is inoperative. I have removed the cover and the lamp, and holder appear to be fine. I have even swapped the lamps over left to right and the lamp works in the other side, so it is not a faulty lamp.

I am assuming with the fog light, that there may be a bad earth somewhere? Possibly where it connects into the rear light cluster, yes?

4) Maybe it is my imagination, but the dashboard lighting appears to be quite dim? I doubt it, but is there a slider switch to make it brighter or something to press on the dashboard to adjust it?

5) The last one, is possibly going to be outside of my own repair capability...

The A/C comes on but doesnt get cold. It shows AC on the display but the air does not get any colder.

I thought it did work when I collected the car, I had the front radiator metal support replaced as it was an advisory when it had its MOT in march. Maybe something got disconnected then?  Are there any connectors that I could have a look at and check to see if they have come apart or not put back again?

Thank you all
Hi.
# 1 & 2. You need to remove the AC/heater panel to get access to the bulbs & remove the dash instrument panel to access the bulbs for your display.
# 3 Check for voltage to the holder.
#4  There will be a rheostat type control on your dash panel somewhere.
#5 If there is no gas in the system there is normally a switch to stop the compressor. If the gas is lost the chances are the oil has gone as well or at least wont be much in the system.
After the work you had done check the connections.
If you want your AC back best to get a place to pressure test the system & fill with the correct amount of compressor oil.
Good luck with it, keith h

quicksilver
Sonic2 View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 4:52pm
thank you for the suggestions, ive only had the car a fortnight or so.

i'm slowly doing odd jobs on it (replaced various bulbs and changed the coolant/oil/air filter so far). Thumbs Up
jgduffin View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgduffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 5:07pm
Hi

I can probably help with some of the questions:

1/There are lamps behind this assembly. I think there are two screws hidden below this panel to allow it to be removed (though i had the bulbs replaced on mine during a service)

4/ There should be a thumbwheel located to the right of the steering column, below the instrument cluster that controls the brightness on the dash. Nearby there will also be a button to unlock the central locking (and a button to adjust the level position of the headlights for models without auto levelling.

5/Yep, your aircon will definitely need regassing. I had to do it on my car when I got it and that was around 10/11 years old
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 10:18pm
NS rear fog light... Are you sure you actually have one (I know that sounds like a retarded question to ask!)... But the P10 and P11 only have an OS rear fog light (so just the one light). A lot of us modify the lamp holder and add a bulb and wire it in, as the wiring oddly is actually there but Nissan didn't drill a hole for a bulb?!?!?!!?

The P11 144 is the face lifted version of the P11 and a lot of the wiring is the same as the P11 (for instance I could fit your rear lights in my P11 etc), so I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nissan did the same on the 144 and didn't actually install a NS bulb. Have a look at this thread showing the mod we do on a P11 and see if any of it makes sense:

http://www.npoc.co.uk/forum/twin-rear-fog-light-conversion_topic3309.html

I could be completely way off the mark and the 144 is fitted from factory with both rear fog lights, any 144 owners who know this 100% around, to confirm what the score is please?

Many thanks,
Shaun
Treef View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 2:53am

No they only wired the offside rear foglight. On my P11-144 wagon I only had the offside reverse light wired in as well. I had to order the nearside bulbholders from nissan and wire them myself.
essNchill View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Nissyen Gaius Fluff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essNchill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 3:19am
Cheers TrevorClap

That should clear up why the NS rear fog light does sod allThumbs Up 
Prle View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 7:10am
Rear left, fog light...rear right, reverse light...
Ant-Dat View Drop Down
NPOC Legend
NPOC Legend
1998 Primera GT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant-Dat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 7:27am

Originally posted by Prle Prle wrote:

Rear left, fog light...rear right, reverse light...

other way on a Right hand drive car when a single fog lamp is fitted it will usually always be on drivers side

as for ac it has a safety that is the pressure is low it will not activate to protect the system, Easy way to check start car up let it come up to temp (so idle is at normal) then switch it on. If you look close there should be a little blip on the rpm (split second) and you may hear a click. if this don;t does this then the pressue is low on system for what ever reason.

SB "he isn't human, he is a machine that never falter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>