Nissan Primera Owners Club Nissan Primera Owners Club > General Open Forums - NO TRADING! > Nissan Primera Help & Queries
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Primera P12 - Subwoofer question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old_member Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan Primera P12 - Subwoofer question
    Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 8:37pm
I was listening to music on the way home and noticed how some songs seemed to lack any "umph" as it where. This got me thinking. I know some Primera's have subwoofers under the seat and there is a connector for these. Having looked under the seat of my 2004 2.2 Dci SE Estate, I cannot see any brown connector which does not appear to be connected to anything or could be the Sub-woofer cable. There are two connectors attached to a metal bracket at the front of the seat but these have cables coming out so I assume these are not the right ones.

So, unless I am mistaken I cannot fit the official Nissan sub-woofer (should I even be able to find out). I have the 6-speaker set up with speaks in all four doors and the 2 front pillars., so what are my options for fitting a sub-woofer?

If I could locate an official Nissan sub-woofer would I be able to fit it and if not is there an alternative I could fit easily under the seat ideal as I really do not want a large speaker/box in the boot as I use the full boot space quite regularly.   

Or are there good bassy speakers I could fit into the two rear storage compartments in the boot space which are currently both totally empty?

Just wondering if someone can suggest some options for increasing the bass and sound in the car a bit without taking up space I use and need.

Thanks guys.
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 8:55pm
Sub woofer schematics are in the service manual which is a six cable connector
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 8:58pm
You can buy aftermarket underseat subs.
It needs to be an active one - amplifier built in.
mcgangsta View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcgangsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by imckay imckay wrote:

You can buy aftermarket underseat subs.
It needs to be an active one - amplifier built in.

Hello,

So, if my lovely primera doesn't include the sub-woofer under the driver's seat, I could just install one with the specs you specified?

Where can I find this plug of sub-woofer easily?
imckay View Drop Down
NPOC Member
NPOC Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imckay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 1:30pm
If the plug is present, it should be under one of the front seats.
Might be passenger side if yours is left hand drive?

If no plug, refer to the Service Manual for wiring.
Connections from two of the speakers. A 12V and a Ground.

mcgangsta View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcgangsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 1:50pm
thank you :)

i found one plug, but I doubt it's the one I'm looking for.

it's weird that there's no howto's for the installation :o
timeshock! View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timeshock! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 4:19pm
2004 P12 was the cross over for the two specs, if your dash is the silver dials then I am not sure the sub woofer wiring is fitted
Electrolyte View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrolyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 4:44pm
Going by the service manual the plug for the sub-woofer is a 6pin dual in-line white coloured one.
Wiring in a sub-woofer would be straightforward enough by following the cct diag, but like everything its getting access to splice into it then running cables that's the problem.
If in doubt give it a clout!
wickydude View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by mcgangsta mcgangsta wrote:

it's weird that there's no howto's for the installation :o

Not really. Nissan don't want you to do that, so they won't tell you, and more audiophile persons will put a "real" sub in the boot (and know what to do, I guess), not a small one under the seat.
Actually, it's not very difficult. Just pull the console off, find the right wires that are shown in the service manual and splice the additional wiring in.
You can find all in the one plug behind the cd unit, just check that the power draw of the sub is not too high, otherwise you need to pull a thicker wire from the battery.

Ex: Primera P12 1.9dCi Estate<b
mcgangsta View Drop Down
NPOC Guest
NPOC Guest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcgangsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 7:30pm
Well I didn't mean a howto for the plug, but for subs in general.

I know the big guys do this in their dreams, but then there's me who knows something, but not enough ;)

What would you think is the max power for a sub, if I attach it to the wires @ back of the radio?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>